Topics

A better pin vise

Thomas Evans

I'm having trouble finding a pin vise that holds smaller (#80 and the higher 70's) drill bit securely.
I've tried & thrown out a few, and always go back to my ancient General swivel-headed one (similar to but better than the current #92).
It works (although hardly on the #80s), but requires me to use 2 pairs of pliers to get it tight enough to hold these small bits.
That's a pain!
Anyone found a better kind?
I've considered Starrett, but they're pretty expensive, and I'd prefer the kind with a swivel knob on the top like I'm used to.

Thanks - Tom E.

steve_wintner

I bought several over the years. Eventually I gave up and dropped the cash for the Starretts. And they are fantastic.

I do have one other that is great, a very small one that only open up to about .025. it grips small ones, it's only about 1.5 inches long. Dunno where I found it, wish I could so I could buy a backup. Because it's so small you have good feel.

Steve

steve_wintner

I should Google more and spout off less.

https://www.micromark.com/High-Precision-Micro-Pin-Vise

That's the one.

Steve

Nelson Moyer

I picked up a Tamiya pin vise at Trainfest last year after the chuck on my old collar type pin vise quit holding #80 bit securely. I’ve used the Tamiya for #78-80 bits and the old one for larger bits. The Tamiya has a screw type chuck and comfortable feel. I also picked up a cheap collar type pin vise, but the design places the collar too close to the end of the chuck, and it’s impossible to see the tip of the bit to place it accurately – another example of cheap, poorly designed Chinese junk. Prior to Trainfest, I ordered a Swiss made collar type pin vise from Erlinger, but the chuck jaws were unevenly milled and would not hold the bit straight. I talked to the company and they checked the remaining inventory and reported that all their remaining stock was defective, so I returned it for a refund. Expect to pay at least $25 for a quality pin vise for reliable results with #80 bits. If it’s cheaper, you probably won’t like it.

Nelson Moyer

I'm having trouble finding a pin vise that holds smaller (#80 and the higher 70's) drill bit securely.
I've tried & thrown out a few, and always go back to my ancient General swivel-headed one (similar to but better than the current #92).
It works (although hardly on the #80s), but requires me to use 2 pairs of pliers to get it tight enough to hold these small bits.
That's a pain!
Anyone found a better kind?
I've considered Starrett, but they're pretty expensive, and I'd prefer the kind with a swivel knob on the top like I'm used to.

Thanks - Tom E.

ed_mines

I bought an expensive one from a site I learned about on the old STMFC forum which sells to professional machinists - it worked real well and wasn't outrageously expensive.
I've been using carbide micro drill bits used to drill PC boards. I buy them from ebay. They work pretty well on most materials but they easily snap.
Haven't bought any carbide bits recently but when I did the price was right.

WILLIAM PARDIE

I have found over the years that mos tpin vises for small drills have a short lifespan.  I have resorted to using a small pin vice (no swivel head) from   Micro Mark #15116.  In fact I keep 10 of them on my workbench loaded with 71 to 80 drills.  This saves a lot of time.

Bill Pardie

I bought an expensive one from a site I learned about on the old STMFC forum which sells to professional machinists - it worked real well and wasn't outrageously expensive.
I've been using carbide micro drill bits used to drill PC boards. I buy them from ebay. They work pretty well on most materials but they easily snap.
Haven't bought any carbide bits recently but when I did the price was right.

Tony Thompson

I have resorted to using a small pin vice (no swivel head) from   Micro Mark . . .

I hesitate to speculate about what this particular vice might involve . . .

Tony Thompson

Allen Cain

Amazon sells the Starrett in two sizes.  Here is the smaller one which holds 60 to 80 and maybe smaller bits with 0-0.040" claimed capacity:

Not outrageous if you have Prime Membership with free shipping or can combine it with another order.

Allen Cain

charles slater

Bill I was having the same problems with pin vises going bad and would not hold the # 70-80 drill bits anymore. I got two new ones from Micro-Mart and I could not even get a #80 drill in the small collet
on one of them as all the jaws were closed up tight. The other would not close down to hold anything smaller than a #75 drill. They both went into the trash.
I found one at our local train show in March made by Zona Tools and it is the VERY BEST, by far, one I have ever used. Go to    www.zonatool.net   and the one I have is their #37-120 it is rather odd looking and has a large ball on the end that fits in the palm of your hand and you turn the chuck with your thumb and index finger. It is very comfortable to use and I have never dropped it. Try it I think you will love it also.
Charlie Slater
Zona Tool manufacturers and sells the highest quality hand saws and cutting tools.
www.zonatool.net

Sent from Outlook

I have found over the years that mos tpin vises for small drills have a short lifespan.  I have resorted to using a small pin vice (no swivel head) from   Micro Mark #15116.  In fact I keep 10 of them on my workbench loaded with 71 to 80 drills.  This saves a lot of time.

Bill Pardie

I bought an expensive one from a site I learned about on the old STMFC forum which sells to professional machinists - it worked real well and wasn't outrageously expensive.
I've been using carbide micro drill bits used to drill PC boards. I buy them from ebay. They work pretty well on most materials but they easily snap.
Haven't bought any carbide bits recently but when I did the price was right.

Robert Allan

Another vote for Starrett. Good clamp, easy to handle, light to use.

Bob Allan
Omaha

Bruce Griffin

Friends,

I have been using a Starrett 162A that I got on Amazon for a couple of years. A few dollars cheaper than the 166A mentioned previously and a skinnier handle. I like the skinny handle, it reminds me how small the drill is so I don't apply too much pressure. It's only 3/16" handle diameter, and 3-3/32" with overall length (with chuck closed)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VY1R2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Schuyler Larrabee

Son of a gun!  That’s the vise I inherited from my grandfather, a clock maker/designer, who had a very severe case of toolitis.  I have always wondered where he got it, and it’s the on I have on reserve for really delicate drilling with tiny bits.  Normally I use a Bergeron No. 30432, which I don’t find using Google.  Not sure where I bought it, except that it was on-line.

Schuyler

Amazon sells the Starrett in two sizes.  Here is the smaller one which holds 60 to 80 and maybe smaller bits with 0-0.040" claimed capacity:

Not outrageous if you have Prime Membership with free shipping or can combine it with another order.

Allen Cain

Schuyler Larrabee

Bruce,

If you are doing a LOT of holes, though, that knurling can get tough on your fingers.

Schuyler

I have been using a Starrett 162A that I got on Amazon for a couple of years. A few dollars cheaper than the 166A mentioned previously and a skinnier handle. I like the skinny handle, it reminds me how small the drill is so I don't apply too much pressure. It's only 3/16" handle diameter, and 3-3/32" with overall length (with chuck closed)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VY1R2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Bill J.

I have that same MicroMart pin vice.  It “ain’t zactly” a precision instrument.  Go to Amazon!

Bill Jolitz

Schuyler Larrabee

It would be helpful if you explained which vise is “that same.”

Schuyler

I have that same MicroMart pin vice.  It “ain’t zactly” a precision instrument.  Go to Amazon!

Bill Jolitz

I don’t think $21.00 or so is outrageous for a quality tool you’ll use for many years.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Amazon sells the Starrett in two sizes.  Here is the smaller one which holds 60 to 80 and maybe smaller bits with 0-0.040" claimed capacity:

Not outrageous if you have Prime Membership with free shipping or can combine it with another order.

Allen Cain

WILLIAM PARDIE

I havr several of these.  I'm not sure if it is the same manufacturer.  I don't use them as I seem to have a degree of difficulty tightening down on the drill.  Maybe it's because as my wife says about my Phydical Culture evdevours "  If they are nice shiney and balanced weights and there are young girls watching you can lift them.  When it comes to opening a peanut bottle jar or carrying the groceries up the stairs you are useless".

Bill Pardie

Son of a gun!  That’s the vise I inherited from my grandfather, a clock maker/designer, who had a very severe case of toolitis.  I have always wondered where he got it, and it’s the on I have on reserve for really delicate drilling with tiny bits.  Normally I use a Bergeron No. 30432, which I don’t find using Google.  Not sure where I bought it, except that it was on-line.

Schuyler

Amazon sells the Starrett in two sizes.  Here is the smaller one which holds 60 to 80 and maybe smaller bits with 0-0.040" claimed capacity:

Not outrageous if you have Prime Membership with free shipping or can combine it with another order.

Allen Cain

I have some of this type as well. I don’t like them as they don’t tighten well.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jul 22, 2020, at 3:38 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

[...]

Yep, that 30432 is what I have.  It does hold very small drills and pins very well.

Schuyler