Topics

ERIE boxcars in 1914 and a nice view of a loading pen with sheep

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

ERIE boxcars in 1914, and a nice view of a loading pen with sheep at the link below

Also, a high resolution image is available at the link below

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Douglas Harding

Notice the hogs in the pen with the hog shed.

What is the white octagonal building? A phone booth? It’s up on cribbing and it looks like a tool boxes and other supplies around it. There are work crew cars with walk planks among the siding. Indications of a work project in town?

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

ERIE boxcars in 1914, and a nice view of a loading pen with sheep at the link below

Also, a high resolution image is available at the link below

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Doug,

Sharp eyes you have!

Thanks for the additional insights

Claus Schlund

ERIE boxcars in 1914, and a nice view of a loading pen with sheep at the link below

Also, a high resolution image is available at the link below

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Thomas Birkett

Similar octagonal building north of an abandoned carbon black plant we leased to load tank cars of crude oil. It was on the T and NM and looked factory made about 10 years ago but the building looked really old.
Tom Birkett
Bartlesville, OK

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

ERIE boxcars in 1914, and a nice view of a loading pen with sheep at the link below

Also, a high resolution image is available at the link below

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Schuyler Larrabee

Doug, that is a precast concrete privy, with two doors leading to a very small space with the usual feature (a hole) on both sides.  The ERIE used a lot of these, and also the same sort of structure with one door as telephone booths everywhere.  This one is sitting on cribbing, waiting for a MOW crane to pick it up for placement where it’s needed.

I don’t think these were exclusively an ERIE item, but I can’t recall right now where else I’ve seen them.

Schuyler

Notice the hogs in the pen with the hog shed.

What is the white octagonal building? A phone booth? It’s up on cribbing and it looks like a tool boxes and other supplies around it. There are work crew cars with walk planks among the siding. Indications of a work project in town?

ERIE boxcars in 1914, and a nice view of a loading pen with sheep at the link below

Also, a high resolution image is available at the link below

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Schuyler Larrabee

A knowledgeable friend offered this about the image:

I bet that concrete structure on a skid was a telephone box. The Erie had them all over the place at least in Ohio and Indiana. The train crews absolutely hated them. They were dark, miserably hot in summer, miserably cold in winter, and attracted all kinds of stinging insects to build nests inside, especially right near (or ON) the telephone sets. I remember being on a train that was significantly delayed once by bees in one of those. The crew finally used a fusee to burn/smoke the bees out, but the risk that entailed was setting fire to the wiring/insulation and defeating the purpose of the installation!

Schuyler

But with two doors, I stick with it being a privy.

Notice the hogs in the pen with the hog shed.

What is the white octagonal building? A phone booth? It’s up on cribbing and it looks like a tool boxes and other supplies around it. There are work crew cars with walk planks among the siding. Indications of a work project in town?

ERIE boxcars in 1914, and a nice view of a loading pen with sheep at the link below

Also, a high resolution image is available at the link below

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Bob Chaparro

I also see hogs.