Topics

Oscar Mayer Freight Car taken in 1931

Richard Townsend

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 4, 2020 11:47 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Oscar Mayer Freight Car taken in 1931

With respect to the Oscar Mayer car, if I recall correctly from my late father's accumulation of HO trains, the folks at Athearn did a car similar to the retouched photo Claus referenced.   It had red sides, black ends and roof, white lettering.  I don't recall if there were any reporting marks.

A "not a Steam Era Freight Car," perhaps?

--George Irwin

G.J. Irwin

With respect to the Oscar Mayer car, if I recall correctly from my late father's accumulation of HO trains, the folks at Athearn did a car similar to the retouched photo Claus referenced.   It had red sides, black ends and roof, white lettering.  I don't recall if there were any reporting marks.

A "not a Steam Era Freight Car," perhaps?

--George Irwin

mikefrommontanan

I agree with Mr. Stozrek's assertion that this is a modified image.  Perhaps done to show somebody what a proposed scheme would look like on a full size car.  It appears that a knock out image (type) was over the print when exposed.

Quicker than paint!

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT

Man Kills New Burger King Worker Over Order Delay: Cops
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f296711727176710263fst02duc1
'I Don't Know John Lewis': Trump Withholds Praise
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f2967118d65b6710263fst02duc2
Fires Erupt as Hurricane Isaias Makes Landfall
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f296711a821f6710263fst02duc3

Douglas Harding

Rob, most of the major meat packers owned soap making companies, so byproducts were shipped to those plants. Or they were sold to third party concerns who had use for them. Nothing was wasted. National Provisioner magazine is a good place to start for anything related to the meat packing industry. You can find it in many AG School libraries, I know Iowa State has a full collection. Early issues of National Provisioner are on line via Google. USDA Bulletins and publications related to the meat industry are also good. And most government publications are also on line.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert kirkham
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 11:53 PM

Thanks for the info you could provide Doug.  I’ve just spent a couple of enjoyable hours on-line looking for answers from the 20’s through 40’s, but I've found this will be a question that takes me to a library for publications I couldn’t find on line.  Not sure the libraries are open yet, but sometime soon I think.  

Rob

On Aug 3, 2020, at 7:48 PM, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

I can’t answer that question. My interests focused on what cars came in and out of a slaughter house, and what did they contain or what was their function, mostly so I could fill out waybills. Additional information makes for a  good story during the clinic.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert kirkham
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 8:02 PM

So I guess this leads to the next question: if you wash out all that lanolin, presumably the left over urine/lanolin also has industrial value?  

Does that go to a rendering plant?  Or fertilizer maker?  Or some other kind of chemical company?

Rob

On Aug 3, 2020, at 5:53 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

You don’t think it’s washed several times in the process of making the sweater? Have you smelled pig urine when buying said sweaters? Likely not. 

Thanks!

Brian Ehni 

(Sent from my iPhone)

On Aug 3, 2020, at 7:39 PM, Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:

Another good reason to wash/dry clean newly purchased wool clothing before wearing it.

Ken Montreo

On 08/03/2020 8:35 PM Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Oh you will regret. A prime use for hog urine was cleaning lanolin from raw wool. Think of that the next time you wear a wool sweater. It is also used in fertilizer.

Most blood was dried before shipping as blood is very corrosive to steel. Whole blood has to be shipped in glass lined tank cars. Blood was a rich source of protein used in animal feeds as well as in blood meal used as a fertilizer. Up to 30% is used in human consumption products, ie blood sausage, black pudding, baked goods, etc. Medicine and pharmaceuticals are another use.

Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 6:40 PM

OK, much as wonder if I will regret it, I have to ask: what was the market for blood, and what was the market for hogs urine?  I have packing plants on the line I model, bt have no insight about this tank car traffic.

Rob Kirkham

On Aug 3, 2020, at 4:31 PM, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Claus thank you. You are correct that is a Decker tank car, used for various fats, like lard, and for blood and hog urine. The tank cars were gone by the early 30s, replaced by leased units.

You cite two groups of Decker reefers, there were others.

Robert kirkham

Thanks for the info you could provide Doug.  I’ve just spent a couple of enjoyable hours on-line looking for answers from the 20’s through 40’s, but I've found this will be a question that takes me to a library for publications I couldn’t find on line.  Not sure the libraries are open yet, but sometime soon I think.  

Rob

I can’t answer that question. My interests focused on what cars came in and out of a slaughter house, and what did they contain or what was their function, mostly so I could fill out waybills. Additional information makes for a  good story during the clinic.

So I guess this leads to the next question: if you wash out all that lanolin, presumably the left over urine/lanolin also has industrial value?  

Does that go to a rendering plant?  Or fertilizer maker?  Or some other kind of chemical company?

Rob

You don’t think it’s washed several times in the process of making the sweater? Have you smelled pig urine when buying said sweaters? Likely not. 

Thanks!

Brian Ehni 

(Sent from my iPhone)

Another good reason to wash/dry clean newly purchased wool clothing before wearing it.

Ken Montreo

Oh you will regret. A prime use for hog urine was cleaning lanolin from raw wool. Think of that the next time you wear a wool sweater. It is also used in fertilizer.

Most blood was dried before shipping as blood is very corrosive to steel. Whole blood has to be shipped in glass lined tank cars. Blood was a rich source of protein used in animal feeds as well as in blood meal used as a fertilizer. Up to 30% is used in human consumption products, ie blood sausage, black pudding, baked goods, etc. Medicine and pharmaceuticals are another use.

OK, much as wonder if I will regret it, I have to ask: what was the market for blood, and what was the market for hogs urine?  I have packing plants on the line I model, bt have no insight about this tank car traffic.

Rob Kirkham

Claus thank you. You are correct that is a Decker tank car, used for various fats, like lard, and for blood and hog urine. The tank cars were gone by the early 30s, replaced by leased units.

Richard Townsend

I don’t know if they still do, but back in the 1970s on Navy ships they had 5 gallon buckets of blood that were used as a foamant in firefighting.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Rob

Thanks!

Brian Ehni 

(Sent from my iPhone)

Ken Montreo

Rob Kirkham

Douglas Harding

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Rob

Thanks!

Brian Ehni 

(Sent from my iPhone)

Ken Montreo

Rob Kirkham

Robert kirkham

Rob

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

Ken Montreo

Rob Kirkham

Doug Harding

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

Ken Montreo

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Rob Kirkham

Doug Harding

Kenneth Montero

Ken Montreo

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Rob Kirkham

Doug Harding

Douglas Harding

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Rob Kirkham

Robert kirkham

Rob Kirkham

Douglas Harding

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 1:32 PM

Hi Doug,

Certainly a nice image, good sleuthing that you spotted the retouching of the photo.

I like the Decker tank car, reporting marks might be JEDX 23. According to my Dec 1930 ORER, Decker has the following series of tank cars: JEDX 20-37 and JEDX 40-92

I also like the view of the Decker reefer on the far end of the image, looks like DMRX 2873, Decker had the following series of reefers: DMRX 2520-2544 and DMRX 2800-2904

Thanks

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, August 03, 2020 10:47 AM

To cite an example of a retouched photo. Attached is a photo scanned from a company brochure published by the Decker & Sons Meat Company, circa 1930. The photo shows the loading area, but what stands out is the large Decker lettering on the side of the reefer. However if you look close, you will see reporting marks on the end of the car indicating it is a HyGrade reefer, a Mather reefer. Someone doctored the photo for the brochure, painting out the HyGrade lettering and inking in the large Decker lettering. For what its worth I have yet to see a photo of actual Decker reefer with that kind of lettering.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Harding via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 8:08 AM

No dimensional data, no reporting marks, no other required lettering for interchange service. Very likely a photo or negative that had lettering applied. Was a common technique for advertising photos.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

spsalso

Sure is odd that the streaks caused by removing the original lettering for retouching just happen to coincide with the new lettering.

What are the odds?

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Tony Thompson

Speaking of modified builder photos -- I always enjoyed photos from the latter years at Pacific Car & Foundry, when builder photos were taken in a dirt-surfaced yard, then a negative of a patch of lawn was stripped into the foreground, right up to the rail the car was on.

Tony Thompson

Charlie Vlk

Jack and All-

Some retouched photos from “back in the day” are obvious but some were so skillfully done they are hard to detect.

I have a couple that I actually thought about destroying because if they got out they might be used by some importer to make a production plastic model from:

One of them is a CB&Q NE-12 (streamlined cupola waycar, the prototype that Bachmann has finally released in slightly improved form in full Burlington lettering and paint) that has bigger “picture windows” airbrushed in.

The other was a proposed slogan to supplement the “Everywhere West / Way of the Zephyrs” script one.

Retouched art was widely used for advertising purposes.  And, of course, was used in Builder’s Record Photos to remove background and in some cases foreground “clutter” to more clearly document the subject freight car.

Using retouching for proposed paint schemes is probably not that unusual as they were probably a better vehicle for review by non-engineering types than blueprints, especially since very few presentation-level drawings (similar to what we like to see in Model Railroad magazines or books) of cars were prepared by carbuilders or railroads.

Charlie Vlk

I agree that the McVicar photo is retouched. The streaked or patchy variations in tone on the car siding are evidence of the original lettering removed by retouching, I believe.

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Doug,

Certainly a nice image, good sleuthing that you spotted the retouching of the photo.

I like the Decker tank car, reporting marks might be JEDX 23. According to my Dec 1930 ORER, Decker has the following series of tank cars: JEDX 20-37 and JEDX 40-92

I also like the view of the Decker reefer on the far end of the image, looks like DMRX 2873, Decker had the following series of reefers: DMRX 2520-2544 and DMRX 2800-2904

Thanks

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2020 10:47 AM

To cite an example of a retouched photo. Attached is a photo scanned from a company brochure published by the Decker & Sons Meat Company, circa 1930. The photo shows the loading area, but what stands out is the large Decker lettering on the side of the reefer. However if you look close, you will see reporting marks on the end of the car indicating it is a HyGrade reefer, a Mather reefer. Someone doctored the photo for the brochure, painting out the HyGrade lettering and inking in the large Decker lettering. For what its worth I have yet to see a photo of actual Decker reefer with that kind of lettering.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Harding via groups.io

No dimensional data, no reporting marks, no other required lettering for interchange service. Very likely a photo or negative that had lettering applied. Was a common technique for advertising photos.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Jack Mullen

The same lettering scheme is seen on OMRX 5004, on p.128 of Hendrickson and Kaminski's billboard reefer book. That is a builders photo of a General American leased reefer, built October 1931. It shows full dimensional data in black, and the billboard lettering in white, with some adjustments of placement compared to the McVicar photo referenced in the OP.
The retouched McVicar photo is dated August 4 1931. I suggest it may have been prepared to illustrate the lettering Oscar Mayer wanted on the new cars it was leasing.
I agree that the McVicar photo is retouched. The streaked or patchy variations in tone on the car siding are evidence of the original lettering removed by retouching, I believe.

Jack Mullen

spsalso

I keep looking at that lettering job, and keep finding more flubs.  Ain't as easy as it looks.  Tried it once.

I LOVE Photoshop.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 07:47 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Douglas Harding

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org