Topics

Oscar Mayer Freight Car taken in 1931

Richard Townsend

-----Original Message-----
From: G.J. Irwin <groups@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 4, 2020 11:47 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Oscar Mayer Freight Car taken in 1931

With respect to the Oscar Mayer car, if I recall correctly from my late father's accumulation of HO trains, the folks at Athearn did a car similar to the retouched photo Claus referenced.   It had red sides, black ends and roof, white lettering.  I don't recall if there were any reporting marks.

A "not a Steam Era Freight Car," perhaps?

--George Irwin

G.J. Irwin

With respect to the Oscar Mayer car, if I recall correctly from my late father's accumulation of HO trains, the folks at Athearn did a car similar to the retouched photo Claus referenced.   It had red sides, black ends and roof, white lettering.  I don't recall if there were any reporting marks.

A "not a Steam Era Freight Car," perhaps?

--George Irwin

mikefrommontanan

I agree with Mr. Stozrek's assertion that this is a modified image.  Perhaps done to show somebody what a proposed scheme would look like on a full size car.  It appears that a knock out image (type) was over the print when exposed.

Quicker than paint!

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT

Man Kills New Burger King Worker Over Order Delay: Cops
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f296711727176710263fst02duc1
'I Don't Know John Lewis': Trump Withholds Praise
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f2967118d65b6710263fst02duc2
Fires Erupt as Hurricane Isaias Makes Landfall
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f296711a821f6710263fst02duc3

Douglas Harding

Rob, most of the major meat packers owned soap making companies, so byproducts were shipped to those plants. Or they were sold to third party concerns who had use for them. Nothing was wasted. National Provisioner magazine is a good place to start for anything related to the meat packing industry. You can find it in many AG School libraries, I know Iowa State has a full collection. Early issues of National Provisioner are on line via Google. USDA Bulletins and publications related to the meat industry are also good. And most government publications are also on line.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org