Topics

NYC 19000 series caboose color

Walter Cox

It looks like pink would work and you can ignore my previous post.

In a message dated 8/4/2020 5:05:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, WaltGCox@... writes:

Hi Dave,
I would do a test run of the mixture before using it on a model. Back when Floquil was the "go to" paint I was looking for a way to get a faded  appearance on some single sheathed boxcars in grain hauling service and was warned not to add white  as it would turn the red to pink but to use a  buff color.. I can't say if the white would have turned the red pink as I never tried it.
Good luck, Walt
In a message dated 8/4/2020 11:45:50 AM Eastern Standard Time, davelawler@...  writes|
Thank you Mark. I have some Floquil Boxcar red and Reefer White in my old paint stash,
more than enough to paint a HO caboose. I guess I'm good to go.
Dave Lawler

Walter Cox

Hi Dave,
I would do a test run of the mixture before using it on a model. Back when Floquil was the "go to" paint I was looking for a way to get a faded  appearance on some single sheathed boxcars in grain hauling service and was warned not to add white  as it would turn the red to pink but to use a  buff color.. I can't say if the white would have turned the red pink as I never tried it.
Good luck, Walt
In a message dated 8/4/2020 11:45:50 AM Eastern Standard Time, davelawler@...  writes|

Thank you Mark. I have some Floquil Boxcar red and Reefer White in my old paint stash,
more than enough to paint a HO caboose. I guess I'm good to go.
Dave Lawler

Dave Lawler

Thank you Peter, you've laid my fears to rest.
Dave Lawler

Peter Weiglin

Those of us who remember the classic wood NYC cabooses remember that they showed up in different shades of red (or even pink), depending on how long it had been since they were painted.  For many, it was a looong time since painting.

There was a prototype for any shade, somewhere.  Don't get too worked up over the "real" shade.

Dave Lawler

Thank you Mark. I have some Floquil Boxcar red and Reefer White in my old paint stash,
more than enough to paint a HO caboose. I guess I'm good to go.
Dave Lawler

Dave Lawler

Todd,
Thank you for the link to the NYC Historical Society file. In there they describe the color as a "reserved boxcar red".
I think that Mark Rossiter's suggestion for Floquil Boxcar red wit a touch of white is the best idea.
Dave Lawler

Mark Rossiter

NJI published a few color books on NYC and NH cabooses in color.  There are a number of color pictures in the Morning Sun books on NYC Passenger and Freight cars.  I’m sure there are scads of color pictures available on the internet to serve as a references well.  Somewhere in a past issue of the NYC ‘Headlight’ a formula for ‘in service’ cabooses was given and if I recall correctly, it was Floquil Boxcar red as Todd suggested, lightened about 10-15% with white, which does tend to take some of the ‘red’ out.

I realize the Floquil boxcar red is no longer produced, but there are a number of sources that cross reference Floquil colors to the newer paint manufacturers.

Mark Rossiter

Armand Premo

Testors is now owned by Rust - Oleum .Many colors have been dropped from the line.Armand Premo

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 4:01 PM Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dave,

Having lived in New York State for many years, and having modeled the New York Central for a while, my recollection is that the NYC freight car color was toward the brown side of the spectrum.  I used the old Floquil "Boxcar Red" color on a brass caboose or two, and it looked pretty close to prototype.

I looked up the NYC Historical Society site, and there is a series of 4 articles on NYC cabooses here
https://nycshs.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/pages-from-1975q1.pdf
They also have links to various paint manufacturers' websites.  I looked at the pages for Model Master Acrylics (as an example), and checked out their brown tones.  It seems that the color would be closest to #4675 Rust (flat) or #4707 Earth Red FS30117 (flat), or a blend of the two.  You might look here: https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master/acrylic-paint/bottles

Todd Sullivan

Rich C

I agree Dave. I like the NYC. I plan on getting a 19000 caboose from either the society or AMB down the road. I have a Funaro USRA caboose which probably was painted the same as yours. I agree the shade should be more brownish. I too will see what others say.

Rich Christie

On Monday, August 3, 2020, 01:43:52 PM CDT, Dave Lawler <davelawler@...> wrote:

Thank you Rich. I forgot that I had noticed that color in their list but I was not sure, it appeared too red.

I  have always wondered if those NYC cars are really red or sort of a brown. I’m no a rivet counter but

I’d like to get the color as close to the prototype as possible.

Dave lawler

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Todd Sullivan

[...]

Dave, The only one listed is TCP-221
NYC Freight Car Red 1945-1960. I am not sure if this shade deviated much from your time period. I am sure there are others who will provide a more precise match.

Rich Christie

On Monday, August 3, 2020, 12:25:13 PM CDT, Dave Lawler <davelawler@...> wrote:

Good day all,
I'm preparing to paint an older brass HO model of a New York Central 19000 series caboose.
My modeling period is 1944.
I use Accupaint/TruColor almost exclusively and they have several freight car reds and browns in
their line but none specifically for NYC that I have found.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a TruColor paint that will work on the 19000 series cabooses?
Best regards,
Dave Lawler

Dave Lawler