Topics

DT&I Postwar AAR Boxcar – Front Range Upgrade #2

Bob Chapman

Don Valentine asks:
What was the date the car was built? Wonder if I can squeeze one in.

Don -- 10/50. I'll bet you can.
Bob Chapman

hubert mask

Do you have enough data from my decal set to complete this car.

Hubert Mask
Mask Island Decals

On Aug 8, 2020, at 10:40 AM, Craig Wilson <agecompanyphotog@...> wrote:

DTI 14520 - same car in later paint scheme.  Zooming in the photo I read "BUILT 10-50" on it.

Craig Wilson

<XM40.DTI14520.jpg>

Craig Wilson

DTI 14520 - same car in later paint scheme.  Zooming in the photo I read "BUILT 10-50" on it.

Craig Wilson

Donald B. Valentine

“Weathering gone wild”?  Frankly I think it looks great Bob. What was the

date the car was built? Wonder if I can squeeze one in.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Bob Chapman

Continuing to clean out the three-decade stash of unbuilt styrene undec kits. Front Range kit #4070 features 10-panel riveted sides, 8-foot door, diagonal panel roof, and R-3-4 ends; a prototype near-match is DT&I's #14300-14549 series (the prototype with early improved dreadnaught ends, the model the similar late version).

As with other circa-1990 kits, the carbody is decent, but the detail parts are well below current standards. Upgrades include Kadee ladders/grabs/Ajax brakewheel, and Kato ASF A-3 trucks. The kit’s deep fishbelly sidesills were modified to match the prototype’s flat bolster-to-bolster profile. The prototype featured a Kerrigan runningboard; I substituted the similar Apex from Yarmouth. Decals are K4.Thanks to Craig Wilson, Tim O’Connor, and John Stanford for their photo and technical help.

Weathering gone wild! -- an attempt to recreate the prototype photo. Craig speculates that the car may have spent a day too many at one of DT&I’s on-line Ohio bagged clay plants.

Regards,
Bob Chapman