Topics

Photo: SFRD Stainless Steel Reefer 13000

Joseph

Bob Chaparro

Keith Jordan, one of the authors of the Santa Fe ice bunker reefer book, commented:

"...the car was never painted in standard colors. The late ca.1963-4 photo we used in the Reefer book shows the car in it’s original stainless steel.

There is the photo of the renumbered car (4150) with the Super Chief slogan side and it appears that the car numbers and some of the data were “patch painted,” which could have been SFRD color or maybe just some aluminum paint as background.

Without digging out the book again, if I remember correctly, the door was replaced early on.

Ed’s model is very nicely done!"

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Edward

Thank you for the good word!
I believe the thee-rod plug door was the original.
Lots more moving parts on it perhaps led to a simpler design replacement door.
Maybe done when the car was painted in standard colors and renumbered?

Ed Bommer

Scott

My understanding at some point they replaced the door with a more conventional plug door.  Is the proto photo the original or replacement door?

Fantastic model Ed!

Scott McDonald

Edward

Here is an O scale model I built of it in 1987.
My only reference at the time was a photo and brief description of it in the 1953 Carbuilder's Cyclopedia.
Some hand lettering had to be done for what was not available in an SFRD Champion decal set

Ed Bommer

Bob Chaparro

Photo: SFRD Stainless Steel Reefer 13000

A photo from the Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society archives:

https://sfrhms.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/RR-41-A2004-0017-Temple-Railroad-Heritage-Museum-031.jpg

In 1948, Santa Fe had this one-off refrigerator car built in stainless steel by Consolidated Steel Industries. It featured plug doors, convertible bunkers and several other progressive features. Santa Fe used most of these features in rebuilding its aging fleet of wood body reefers that included new steel roofs and sides, but did not repeat the use of stainless steel.

This was the sole member of the Rr-41 class and eventually was renumbered 4150.

A Keith Jordan article on kit bashing an HO model of SFRD 13000 was published in the Second Quarter 1989 issue of Santa Fe Modeler.
For the record, this topic came up on another group when someone mistook this car for an aluminum bodied refrigerator car. Santa Fe had no aluminum bodies refrigerator cars.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA