model freight car origiin

Tony Thompson

     List members, I have two ancient flat cars, both the same, with a wood body, cast (Zamac?) underframe, and a steel sheet body wrapped around the wood. The plastic AB brake parts look like what Varney later supplied, so I surmise that these were early Varney products. But one source suggested to me that Athearn also once had a similar flat car.
      Photo of underbody below. The stake pockets are pressed out from the side sill, and are rounded, not square at all. My two cars are both black, B&O and B&LE. Does anyone know the origin of these cars?

Tony

Benjamin Hom

Tony Thompson asked:
"List members, I have two ancient flat cars, both the same, with a wood body, cast (Zamac?) underframe, and a steel sheet body wrapped around the wood. The plastic AB brake parts look like what Varney later supplied, so I surmise that these were early Varney products. But one source suggested to me that Athearn also once had a similar flat car.

"Photo of underbody below. The stake pockets are pressed out from the side sill, and are rounded, not square at all. My two cars are both black, B&O and B&LE. Does anyone know the origin of these cars?"

Varney.  Excerpt from a 1950 Varney brochure downloaded from the HO Seeker website attached for reference showing the parts of the kit.  Athearn metal flatcar instruction sheet (also from HO Seeker) included for reference; note the separate stamped metal strip for the stake pockets and underframe construction similar to the Athearn metal house car kits.

Ben Hom
_._,_._,_

Paul Koehler

Tony:

I had one just like that years ago, I think yours is one of the early Athearns.

Paul C. Koehler

      Photo of underbody below. The stake pockets are pressed out from the side sill, and are rounded, not square at all. My two cars are both black, B&O and B&LE. Does anyone know the origin of these cars?

Tony

Tony Thompson

I had one just like that years ago, I think yours is one of the early Athearns.

     No, the kit instructions for the two companies are distinctly different, and it's a Varney. I admit I hadn't thought of searching on the web for old kit instructions.

Tony Thompson

Paul Koehler

Tony:

After seeing Ben’s response with the instruction I agree.  It’s a Varney.

Paul C. Koehler

I had one just like that years ago, I think yours is one of the early Athearns.

     No, the kit instructions for the two companies are distinctly different, and it's a Varney. I admit I hadn't thought of searching on the web for old kit instructions.

Tony Thompson

Dave Pfeiffer

Maybe early Mantua kits?

Dave Pfeiffer

      Photo of underbody below. The stake pockets are pressed out from the side sill, and are rounded, not square at all. My two cars are both black, B&O and B&LE. Does anyone know the origin of these cars?

Tony

Tony Thompson

Dave Pfeiffer wrote:

Maybe early Mantua kits?

      No, definitely Varney. Ben Hom's reply is clear.

Tony Thompson

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

    The heck of it, Ben, is that when compared to Athearn Blue Box kits 15 years later at $1.69 these

Early Varney kits were expensive for their era. Oh well, at least one had a steel box car with operating

doors and scale tracks that operated without gross “claws” on the bottom.

Cordially, Don Valentine

John

I'm very glad to see this information. I have one, complete with the folded paper crates shown in the Varney brochure (and X2f couplers) that was my dad's. I never knew who made it. Since Dad spent all his working years at Chrysler, I suspect that is why he bought it. Thanks for sharing.

John Bopp
Farmington Hills, MI