Topics

Photo: UP Gondola 63960 In Discharge Mode (1922)

Brian Termunde

Josh;
Thanks for pointing this out in another great find by Bob.

Being that my folks were born and raised in Salt Lake, whereas my elder brother and I were born and raised in LA, I have a natural affinity for the LA&SL!

I recently found in a local hobby shop a LA&SL custom decorated (N Scale) box car and immediately purchased it. While unlikely that that a 36 foot truss rod box car would've been still around in my 1953 era, I just had to have it!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Re: Photo: UP Gondola 63960 In Discharge Mode (1922)
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 12:48:55 PDT
Far more interesting is the car behind it - SLR19040.

Josh

Far more interesting is the car behind it - SLR19040.

This is the first and only time I have ever seen that reporting mark - the Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad used LASL as its normal identifier. SLR refers to the LA&SL's slogan, "The Salt Lake Route."

The car is a Pressed Steel Car Company 40-foot offset side drop bottom car, built in 1914 if I remember correctly. I have seen reference to this batch in surviving PSC records but no details were given except for the date and number of cars built. I am happy that this photo confirms that they were identical to the Utah Coal Route cars jointly owned by the LA&SL and the Utah Railway.

For the HO scale modelers, Bonsall Scale Car Shops offers kits for this car, both in its as-built version and later rebuilt versions.

Bob Chaparro

Photo: UP Gondola 63960 In Discharge Mode (1922)

A photo from the University of Utah Library:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s65t5v5t

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

Good detail of a G-50-7 car.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA