Gesendet: Mittwoch, 09. September 2020 um 22:05 Uhr
Von: "James SANDIFER" <steve.sandifer@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Pittsburgh & Shawmut Railroad Dump Car M-24 (1954)

Company service might be a better description. I have a number of ATSF records of them being used to provide sand to branch line stock pens for bedding purposes. I have a video of one being unloaded on an embankment to help prevent erosion.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Von: "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

From the W&R flyer for these cars back in 92, they were built by the Clark Car Co. in the 1920s and 1930s;

SP 3360-3373

PRR 999000-999079 or 489900-489915

NYC X6500-6535

NP 89000-89059

DL&W 95708 plus others

B&O X330-324

WM 1410-1421

UP 91500-91544  and

SP&S X50-51

Very finely detailed cars with additional air tanks to provide detail options.   The trucks a require replacement wheels and axles.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

I found a similar car on the RF&P around 1988. It would seem that the entire gondola part of the car can be tipped using train air. Even says "AIR DUMP" to the left of the coupler. Other than that, I know nothing about who built these or how common they were. Nice to know they were around in our era of interest.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Pittsburgh & Shawmut Railroad Dump Car M-24 (1954)

A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh Collection:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A31-PandS-6-M-24

Click on the photo and then scroll to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Steve SANDIFER

These are Clark Car Co. 30 yard air dump cars. Santa Fe had 100 and used them for rip-rap as well as stockyard sand. W&R made HO models for them. I am seeking one or two for my ATSF layout.

J. Stephen Sandifer

I found a similar car on the RF&P around 1988. It would seem that the entire gondola part of the car can be tipped using train air. Even says "AIR DUMP" to the left of the coupler. Other than that, I know nothing about who built these or how common they were. Nice to know they were around in our era of interest.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Pittsburgh & Shawmut Railroad Dump Car M-24 (1954)

A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh Collection:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A31-PandS-6-M-24

Click on the photo and then scroll to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

vapeurchapelon

Many thanks, Ted! Seems that I have to have such a car one day...

Johannes

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 09. September 2020 um 21:00 Uhr
Von: "Ted Schnepf" <railsunl@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Hello Johannes,

Air dumps would move in regular freight trains to a terminal near where they would be unloaded by or work or local way freight. The cars would haul rip rap, ballast, and sometimes ties or other timbers for MOW use.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 01:48:59 PM CDT, vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM, gary laakso wrote:
From the W&R flyer for these cars back in 92, they were built by the Clark Car Co. in the 1920s and 1930s;
Another long time builder of side dump cars was the Differential Dump Car Co., which persisted into recent times as DIFCO.

Dennis Storzek

Ted Schnepf

[...]

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford