Photo: CN Eight-Hatch Reefer 209500 (1941)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: CN Eight-Hatch Reefer 209500 (1941)

A photo from the National Archives of Canada:

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/CollectionSearch/Pages/record.aspx?app=FonAndCol&IdNumber=3514331

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

Car built in 1939.

I understand PFE and Fruit Growers also had a few refrigerator cars of the eight hatch/overhead bunker design.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Scott

How long did the brown paint scheme last?

Scott McDonald

John Riddell

1939 to late 1940s.

John Riddell

The photo shows the first CN overhead ice bunker reefer as built in October 1939. The first 200 were delivered painted mineral brown.  Beginning in August 1943 the following 2,985 were delivered painted medium grey with the maple leaf herald.

Bill Parks

Edited

Bob -

FGE had about 200 overhead bunker cars (reporting marks FOBX), and WFE had another 50 (WOBX).  They were 50 footers (actually about 53), and from the few photos I've seen, it looks like they had ten hatches.

--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob,

And the CN cars did get down into the US. In James H. Harrison's SACRAMENTO NORTHERN GALLERY there is a photo of one taken about 1956 on the SN (pulled by a GE steeple cab!) at Lake Temescal near Oakland, California. The car in the photo wears the later gray paint scheme. Since the train is eastbound, I presume the car is empty and was going home via the WP and GN. It most certainly was unloaded on the partially-WP owned Oakland Terminal, since nearly all the SN's eastbound traffic out of Oakland came off the OT (the SN only served team tracks west of Laffayette and had no major customers of their own). Why it would have appeared in the Bay Area is a head scratcher. My best guess is it arrived with some specialty Canadian meat or fish product.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 1:08 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: CN Eight-Hatch Reefer 209500 (1941)

A photo from the National Archives of Canada:

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/CollectionSearch/Pages/record.aspx?app=FonAndCol&IdNumber=3514331

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

Car built in 1939.

I understand PFE and Fruit Growers also had a few refrigerator cars of the eight hatch/overhead bunker design.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

Gary Townshend commented:

"The cars were originally developed by 1937, the year the test run was made, bringing two car loads of frozen fish back from Prince Rupert BC to Montreal PQ*. As Supervisor of Perishable Traffic for the CNR System, my grandfather had various shops experiment with mechanical refrigeration in the 1950's. I have had the pleasure of discussing some of those experiments with the employees. They agreed that ice refrigeration across the CNR was more reliable in that time. So my grandfather ordered 200 new overhead ice bunker reefers in 1958, a year before he retired.

*Those first two cars had ten hatches!"

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

Mark Rickert reminded me there was a multi-part series in RMC several years ago on these cars. Looking back through my notes I found these plus two other articles.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

++++

Model Railroader

November 1964

CN Overhead-Bunker Reefer

by Craig, Allen E.  Geissel, J. Harold

Page 32

++++

Railroad Model Craftsman

November 1983

Protofile 28: CN Eight-Hatch Reefers

by Swain, Stafford

CNR  Protofile  Prototype Reefer

Page 71

++++

December 1995

Canada's Eight-Hatch Iced Refrigerator Cars, Part 1

by Goslett, Ken  Swain, Stafford

Page 70

++++

January 1996

Canada's Eight-Hatch Iced Refrigerator Cars, Part 2

by Goslett, Ken  Swain, Stafford

Page 63

++++

February 1996

Canada's Eight-Hatch Iced Refrigerator Cars, Part 3

by Swain, Stafford

Page 80

bigfourroad

Thanks for the fascinating historical details Bob.  I have recently acquired the S scale kit and look forward to building it to correct details. Am I correct in interpreting your painting comments that the red scheme gave way to the silver with red lettering sometime in the late 40's early 50's?
Chris Rooney

John Riddell

Chris,

The first 200 steel cars were repainted in the late 1940s from mineral red to medium grey with red lettering .

John Riddell