Accurail Milw 16xxx

Clark Propst

I was looking at the Milwaukee freight car color book and was curious about the ends on the MILW 15600-16999 series box cars. I can't get a good read on the ends in the book photos other than they're dreadnaught with a longer lower panel. Accurail offers something 'close', but I have no idea what they ends are. Can someone offer me some advice on the ends?

Thanks you,
Clark Propst

Clark Propst

I forgot the 7s...It's 715600-716999
Clark Propst

Jack Mullen

Clark,
The only photo I can find from that series is dead on broadside, but...
from the previous number series, a nice 3/4 view of 715524 reveals a 4/5 Dreadnaught A end.  To complicate things, there's a lumber door, a common MILW boxcar feature. The car seems to match the dimensions and appearance of the higher numbered series you asked for.
Hooper this helps,

Jack

David Holden

Hi, Clark:

All the images that I've seen show the 714000-717199 series as having 4/5 Dreadnaught square corner ends.  Sunshine data sheet 57A has a nice end view of 715115, outside of the range you asked about, but from the same series.

FWIW, the data sheet mentions that the 715600-716499 series had CTSE reporting marks.

David Holden
Vancouver, WA

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 09:49 PM, David Holden wrote:
FWIW, the data sheet mentions that the 715600-716499 series had CTSE reporting marks
But I think this changed over time.
716296 photo at LaCrosse March 1941 with CTSE reporting marks.
716495 with  6-54 reweigh date has MILW.
Unfortunately I can't check these in the ORER at this time.

Jack

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Jack and Clark,

Is the attached photo of 711019 of any use to your discussion.?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 12:43 AM Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:
Clark,
The only photo I can find from that series is dead on broadside, but...
from the previous number series, a nice 3/4 view of 715524 reveals a 4/5 Dreadnaught A end.  To complicate things, there's a lumber door, a common MILW boxcar feature. The car seems to match the dimensions and appearance of the higher numbered series you asked for.
Hooper this helps,

Jack

Clark Propst

Here are two more Milwaukee box cars. The ribside is an Accurail/Ribside Cars undec I decaled with Speedwitch and a set offer now by Gary Roe. It’s a set Mark Vaughan made for Stan Rydarowicz’s spent grain cars. The set also has hopper car decals.
The single sheathed car is an upgraded Accurail car (lipstick on a pig thread) I used the same Gary Roe set along with scraps from other Milwaukee sets.
Cars got some Prismacolor pencil and Pan Pastels.
I see the brake wheel needs some attention on the SS car....
Clark Propst

Paul Doggett

Two nice looking cars Clark

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 5 Nov 2020, at 16:38, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

Here are two more Milwaukee box cars. The ribside is an Accurail/Ribside Cars undec I decaled with Speedwitch and a set offer now by Gary Roe. It’s a set Mark Vaughan made for Stan Rydarowicz’s spent grain cars. The set also has hopper car decals.
The single sheathed car is an upgraded Accurail car (lipstick on a pig thread) I used the same Gary Roe set along with scraps from other Milwaukee sets.
Cars got some Prismacolor pencil and Pan Pastels.
I see the brake wheel needs some attention on the SS car....
Clark Propst

Attachments:

Todd Sullivan

Hey Clark,  they look pretty nifty!  The lipstick really transformed the pig.

Todd Sullivan

Allan Smith

Love your kitbash of the Milw 713526 car. I model the Sierra in 1955 and have conductors lists from 1952 that show Milw 713916 on the Sierra. I also have an Accurail kit to make into a Milw car. Your kitbash inspired me to dig it out and review a new parts list and start on the project. Thank you for your posting.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Thursday, November 5, 2020, 09:14:16 AM PST, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

Hey Clark,  they look pretty nifty!  The lipstick really transformed the pig.

Todd Sullivan

Rob & Bev Manley

Clark,
Beautiful work as always. I'm so bummed that there wasn't the Lisle RPM. I can always use more detail parts. Especially Yarmouth stirrups. Oh well, keep building.

Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"

On Thursday, November 5, 2020, 01:52:56 PM CST, Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:

Love your kitbash of the Milw 713526 car. I model the Sierra in 1955 and have conductors lists from 1952 that show Milw 713916 on the Sierra. I also have an Accurail kit to make into a Milw car. Your kitbash inspired me to dig it out and review a new parts list and start on the project. Thank you for your posting.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Thursday, November 5, 2020, 09:14:16 AM PST, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

Hey Clark,  they look pretty nifty!  The lipstick really transformed the pig.

Todd Sullivan

Tony Thompson

      Now, Clark, fess up. That single-sheathed car is no pig <g>.

Tony Thompson

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Re: Accurail Milw 16xxx
From: Paul Doggett
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 08:57:39 PST

Two nice looking cars Clark

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

What “two” cars guys? I see only opposite sides of the same Milw. Rib side #16039 here.

Where is the single sheathed car refered to?

Cordially, Don Valentine

Clark Propst

Tony, Maybe now that she’s all dolled up I may place her next to the Sunshine model just to see if she needs to head back to the mud  ;  ))

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Douglas Harding

Don four photos found in a message Clark Propst posted this morning, at 10:38am Central Time

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

What “two” cars guys? I see only opposite sides of the same Milw. Rib side #16039 here.

Where is the single sheathed car refered to?

Cordially, Don Valentine

Jack Mullen

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 02:01 AM, Garth Groff asked:
Is the attached photo of 711019 of any use to your discussion.?
Heck yes, Garth!  I first looked at the featured 711019 which is no big deal; it's an earlier edition of the Milwaukee 6-panel SS boxcar, with composite ends.
But the car partly visible to the left is one with 4/5 Dreadnaught, and shows the typical lumber door - and on the B end. Cool. And to the right, 715680 with MILW reporting marks instead of CTSE.

Thanks!
Jack

Paul Doggett

Don

There were four photos two of each car.
Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Re: Accurail Milw 16xxx
From: Paul Doggett
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 08:57:39 PST

Two nice looking cars Clark

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

What “two” cars guys? I see only opposite sides of the same Milw. Rib side #16039 here.

Where is the single sheathed car refered to?

Cordially, Don Valentine

Andy Laurent

Digest Mode typically strips all but the first two photos, FYI.

Andy L.
Wisconsin

Paul Doggett wrote:

“Don

There were four photos two of each car.”

Hi Paul.

   I wish that were so as I have only the two of the rib side car.  Don’t know whether it is my

half vast Internet service provider (Consolidated Communication which swallowed up Fairpoint

after it bought out Verizon’s land lines in Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont) or what but

Consolidated paid over $100k in fines to Vermont already this year over poor service issues and

the service is still the pits.

    Perhaps someone can forward the two photos of the SS car to me separately. It is of interest

because they were common in this area in the late 1940’s.

Cordially Don Valentine

Douglas Harding

Done, just emailed Clark’s original post.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org