Topics

Photo: Photo: NYC&HR Boxcar 100145

ROGER HINMAN

Looks like NYC Spec 460 was the one generated to capture this design for XMs, albeit a few years after the fact. It is shown  as being used for the procurement of the Haskell and Barker Lot 5145 , procured under NYC Lots 354-B and 355-B in 1917. The sister XA spec 461 was used for numerous procurements.

Roger Hinman.

On Nov 9, 2020, at 5:27 PM, Ray Breyer via groups.io <rtbsvrr69@...> wrote:

That's exactly what happened to this car, Roger. East Buffalo took this ONE car, and rebuilt with all-new everything as a testbed. All subsequent short boxcar orders were built to the standards of 100145, and most of the 1906 and 1910 standard cars were rebuilt to this standard.

I touch on these cars in my assorted reviews of the Accurail shorties on Eric Hansmann's blog.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Monday, November 9, 2020, 03:47:27 PM CST, ROGER HINMAN via groups.io <rhinman11@...> wrote:

A very interesting photo; if I go by the assigned car number, this is a lot 222-B WUF boxcar built in 1907 by ACF to their lot number 4633. The car as shown would then represent a significant rebuilding at the East Buffalo shops in 1912 with the newly designed Kendig steel under frame applied, steel ends , early XLA roof,  Bettendorf cast trucks. and new door hardware. No problem for the accountants to stencil it as “NEW”  Two builder’s photos of the 1907 car are on the Westerfield ACF CD.

Roger Hinman

On Nov 9, 2020, at 1:04 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Photo: NYC&HR Boxcar 100145
A photo from the National Archives of Canada:
This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.
Possibly built in 1912.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA