Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Early 20th Century Freight Cars Photograph

Ray Breyer

Shippers have ALWAYS been really rough on freight cars, and if you start looking, you'll find cars with damaged, dangling, or removed doors all over the place. That's why railroads used to stencil the reporting marks and road numbers of cars onto them.

All-wood doors were a favorite to steal, as there was plenty of wood for a shed in them.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 02:16:31 PM CST, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Guys;

I ran across a short group of photos recently that were of a door which had come loose and got knocked off along an elevated ROW.  The door flew off the elevated and crushed a car below.  The owners of the car looked bemused and not a little perturbed.

Honestly, it happened a lot.  I have turned up dozens of these incidents.  Forklift operators were experts at knocking doors off their tracks.

I saved the photos, but lost them again last week when my laptop blew up (the final time; TAPS playing in background).

Sigh.

Elden Gatwood