Topics

Bill Welch

Eric Hansmann

Sad hobby news has reached my computer. Our favorite extreme modeler and Dodger fan, Bill Welch, passed away Sunday afternoon, November 15th, 2020. This was reported by his niece on his Facebook timeline. Bill's work has touched and inspired so many in our group and at RPM events across the years. A Zoom celebration of Bill's modeling life will be announced shortly.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Guy Wilber

Rest In Peace, Bill.

We were friends beginning in a time when letters and phone calls were still in vogue.  Enjoy your last ride out of the station and say hello to the others awaiting your arrival on the other side.

With Respect,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

On Nov 17, 2020, at 5:41 PM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Sad hobby news has reached my computer. Our favorite extreme modeler and Dodger fan, Bill Welch, passed away Sunday afternoon, November 15th, 2020. This was reported by his niece on his Facebook timeline. Bill's work has touched and inspired so many in our group and at RPM events across the years. A Zoom celebration of Bill's modeling life will be announced shortly.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Rich C

I am so sorry to hear of Bills passing. I know Bill put up a good fight. His modeling talent is on the highest plateau, in my book. He will always be an influence to all of us. My prayers go out to Bill's family.

Rich Christie

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 07:51:26 PM CST, Guy Wilber via groups.io <guycwilber@...> wrote:

Rest In Peace, Bill.

We were friends beginning in a time when letters and phone calls were still in vogue.  Enjoy your last ride out of the station and say hello to the others awaiting your arrival on the other side.

With Respect,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

On Nov 17, 2020, at 5:41 PM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Sad hobby news has reached my computer. Our favorite extreme modeler and Dodger fan, Bill Welch, passed away Sunday afternoon, November 15th, 2020. This was reported by his niece on his Facebook timeline. Bill's work has touched and inspired so many in our group and at RPM events across the years. A Zoom celebration of Bill's modeling life will be announced shortly.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

gary laakso

He taught by example (and by harvested rivets!) and my WFEX/FGEX/BREX fleet will always remind me of him.  Keep modelling in your new home Bill and toss some rivets on all of us.  Will his DRGW DS boxcar master ever reach production?

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Mitchell Mercante

Sad news indeed.  Bill was a wonderful modeler with a wealth of knowledge on so many subjects and always willing to share that knowledge with others.  He was a gentleman to all he met greeting everyone with a big smile and a warm handshake.  But most importantly, he was a friend.  I shall miss him greatly.

Mitch Mercante
Brentwood, TN

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 07:41:59 PM CST, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Sad hobby news has reached my computer. Our favorite extreme modeler and Dodger fan, Bill Welch, passed away Sunday afternoon, November 15th, 2020. This was reported by his niece on his Facebook timeline. Bill's work has touched and inspired so many in our group and at RPM events across the years. A Zoom celebration of Bill's modeling life will be announced shortly.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Tom Madden

There are getting to be too many empty chairs at the table....

Nine weeks from diagnosis to death.....

Bill was already planning his memorial service when he notified some of his friends of his situation. He had hoped it could be held while he was still alive to enjoy it, but that was not to be. So we'll have to celebrate Bill's life without him. A gentleman and a gentle man, Bill leaves an amazing legacy of accomplishment and inspiration. A life well lived.....

Tom Madden

Clark Propst

Was it Bill that coined the term “Resinators”? Xxrteme modeling for sure. He was always rooting for freight car clinics at RPM meets.

Another great one gone…

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I can tell you from familial experience that pancreatic cancer presents very late. You may not have symptoms until it’s too late, which is why the mortality rate is so high.

Pancreatic cancer took my father @ 72, and my oldest brother @ 42 years of age. I get regular abdominal scans.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:33 PM, Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

There are getting to be too many empty chairs at the table....

Nine weeks from diagnosis to death.....

Bill was already planning his memorial service when he notified some of his friends of his situation. He had hoped it could be held while he was still alive to enjoy it, but that was not to be. So we'll have to celebrate Bill's life without him. A gentleman and a gentle man, Bill leaves an amazing legacy of accomplishment and inspiration. A life well lived.....

Tom Madden

Robert kirkham

I didn’t really know Bill or his family, but was shocked when he advised of his diagnosis.  The suddenness of his death will be very hard for them.   I’m sorry for them and hope the thoughts for his remembrance service make it memorable.

I will miss the unique vitality and knowledge he brought to clinics and emails, and grateful to what he shared with us.  His modelling has been an inspiration.  And our community will be less with his passing.

It's been a hard year.

Rob

On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:33 PM, Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

There are getting to be too many empty chairs at the table....

Nine weeks from diagnosis to death.....

Bill was already planning his memorial service when he notified some of his friends of his situation. He had hoped it could be held while he was still alive to enjoy it, but that was not to be. So we'll have to celebrate Bill's life without him. A gentleman and a gentle man, Bill leaves an amazing legacy of accomplishment and inspiration. A life well lived.....

Tom Madden

Tony Thompson

Terribly sad news even though Bill told us. He was a terrific modeler but more important he was a wonderful human being. All who knew him will miss him greatly, but many who never met him will mourn his loss. I won’t get over it very quickly.
Tony Thompson

On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:09 PM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

[...]

al_brown03

R.I.P. Bill. I look forward to your masterwork.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Eric Hansmann

Bill did coin the Resinators term. He hosted a couple of gatherings at recent RPM Chicagoland meets that were focused on sharing tips and techniques. Jeff Sankus helped Bill pull those together. Jeff passed away this past January after his battle with cancer.

It’s been a crappy year for prototype modelers.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Was it Bill that coined the term “Resinators”? Xxrteme modeling for sure. He was always rooting for freight car clinics at RPM meets.

Another great one gone…

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Lester Breuer

A sad evening when I heard the news of Bill’s passing.  One of reflection.  A southern gentleman with a passion for trains who inspired us and shared with us the way to “Extreme Modeling.”  He will  remain forever in our memories.  Rest In Peace Bill,  you will be missed.
Lester Breuer

Nelson Moyer

While Bill had given some of us advanced notice of his condition, I like Tom was shocked at the rapid progression of his cancer, and I was devastated to learn of his passing just nine weeks after diagnosis. Life is fleeting, and for some of us, more fleeting than for others. I think the best tribute to Bill would be to publish his book with posthumous authorship (shared with those who bring it about) and a dedication highlighting his contribution to prototype modeling and the consortium in particular.

Bill, you and your modeling will be sorely missed.

Nelson Moyer

radiodial868

Ah, nuts...  Finally retired, this was the year that was hoping to meet Bill after years of learning from him via this List how to take my models to the next level.  2020 just keeps taking away.
RIP,  Mr. Welch.
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Tim O'Connor

I am just too sad right now. I've lost a friend I knew for almost 30 years. Bill had many
passions and railroads and fantastically good modeling were just two of them. :'(

On 11/18/2020 1:18 AM, Tony Thompson wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Bill and I got to chat briefly at Cocoa Beach one year, and we conversed via email from time to time after that. At one point, some months before the corona virus situation began, he mentioned he was interested in going to one of the operating sessions that Jared Harper holds from time to time, but he did not want to make the 8 hour plus drive from his place in Florida to Jared's place in Georgia on his own. Since I live part-time in Florida about 30 minutes from his place, I suggested to him we could make the drive together at some point. We agreed to try to coordinate this with Jared and figure out when that could happen and when I would next be in Florida

Of course the epidemic and the virus had entirely different plans regarding this, so it didn't happen. Sadly, with his demise, now it will never happen.

Even though Bill and I model in different scales, I found his techniques invaluable, they broke through the 'scale barrier', and his writings raised my expectations of myself and my modeling in a way nobody else was able to.

I'm sure Bill is now enjoying himself running trains on that great mainline in the sky!

Claus Schlund

[...]

Mark

So sorry to hear that Bill passed. To much going on this year. My wife, Diane passed Sept 30th. Her father passed and brother.

Sincerely, Mark Morgan

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

    I have enjoyed Bill Welch's work ever since joining the STMFC and especially enjoyed learning from him and sharing what little info I had on "watermelon cars" as we always called ventilated boxcars in Northern New England due to that being their most commonly seen cargo here. Owing to schedule conflicts with work I've never been able to make a Cocoa meet but was super pleased to meet Bill when he came north for the New England Prototype Modelers Meet in 2019. I enjoyed his clinic, and took many notes, and was pleased to find him in attendance at my clinic which he seemed to enjoy as I had his. A modeler par excellence and a gentleman of the highest quality. Hope we all get to enjoy Bill and his modeling when we meet again in our
next lives. Another tragic loss for us all.

RIP Bill, Don Valentine

WILLIAM PARDIE

As Eric Hangman noted it has been a crappy year for modelers.  I really morn the loss of Bill and others.  And it goes on.

I am normally a very posituve person and greet each day with enthusiasm.   This year is proving to be very negative.  I have attended the Naperville meet for the last fifteen years.  One of the best parts for me is sitting in the lobby and interacting with all the quality modelers and I personalities. Between the pandemic and exodus of quality modelers I am beginning to worry that I may never again enjoy that experience.

How depressing:

Bill Pardie