Topics

GN 1948 Box Cars

golden1014

Thank you Steffan for the photo and everyone else for your replies.  The photo is perfect--it's the right view from the right era.  I see the difference now in the kit-supplied end vs. the proto-photo. I owe you one!

John Golden
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany

RPM Blog: https://railroadprototypemodeler.wordpress.com/ 

Tim O'Connor

On 11/20/2020 12:38 AM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:
Just what Accurail cars featured this end?

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

WILLIAM PARDIE

Just what Accurail cars featured this end?

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Tim O'Connor

The straight bottom edges seen on one major rib of SRE ends existed on MANY freight cars of the postwar era
but the only HO scale model in mass production is Accurail's version as far as I know. We have talked about it
many times on STMFC over the years. IRC actually makes TWO different 3/4 10-0 box car ends, but as you
point out neither one has the flattened bottom edge of one major rib.

On 11/18/2020 6:37 PM, Steve Haas wrote:

John,

Two points about the IMRC 12 panel 10’ IH cars.

1. None of the GN 12 panel 10’ IH cars had the long horizontal grab iron; see Staffan’s photo, and
  2. The ends included with the kit are incorrect.  The GN 12 panel 10’ IH cars are what Ed Hawkins has defined as an IDE-2 end.  In this design, the underside of the top major rib does not descend like the underside of the rest of the major ribs.

To date, no one has provided a commercial model of such an IDE-2 end, even though when compared to the IDE-1 they are almost as numerous as the IDE-1.

Two or three summers ago Bill Welch provided a tease here of a clinic he was putting together, either for St. Louis or Lyle.  In the photo accompanying his posting he included a picture of several ends he was preparing as part of his clinic.  One of these was an IDE-2!  I inquired as to how he had fabricated it.  Bill gracefully responded, stating he had fabricated these ends by taking a pair of ends from an Accurail refrigerator cars, then slicing and dicing to create the proper 4/3 ends with the flattened underside of the top rib.

I’ve got the fabrication for a set of these underway . . . . . learning how to clean up the original Accurail castings to where they’ll make good masters; I’ve got a ways to go.

Best regards,

Steve

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

Or simply scroll down to see if there is a link, as is often the case.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Parker via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 11:08 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] GN 1948 Box Cars

If you think a photo has been "stripped", please just go to the Messages function on groups.io.  It's there, as it usually is.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Dave Parker

If you think a photo has been "stripped", please just go to the Messages function on groups.io.  It's there, as it usually is.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Doug Polinder

John, looks like Staffan's photo got stripped from his message, but Ron Merrick is correct.  I checked all the photos I had where you could see the end, and only the cars that had been rebuilt after 1966 had the almost full-width horizontal grabs on the end.  It appears that the GN installed these beginning in 1966 the same time they lowered ladders and removed running boards.  Many of these cars were also painted big sky blue, which GN began applying in April 1967.  And here I've been modeling 1966 and have been installing the dratted !@#$%^&* things.

Doug Polinder

Steve Haas

John,

Two points about the IMRC 12 panel 10’ IH cars.

1. None of the GN 12 panel 10’ IH cars had the long horizontal grab iron; see Staffan’s photo, and
  2. The ends included with the kit are incorrect.  The GN 12 panel 10’ IH cars are what Ed Hawkins has defined as an IDE-2 end.  In this design, the underside of the top major rib does not descend like the underside of the rest of the major ribs.

To date, no one has provided a commercial model of such an IDE-2 end, even though when compared to the IDE-1 they are almost as numerous as the IDE-1.

Two or three summers ago Bill Welch provided a tease here of a clinic he was putting together, either for St. Louis or Lyle.  In the photo accompanying his posting he included a picture of several ends he was preparing as part of his clinic.  One of these was an IDE-2!  I inquired as to how he had fabricated it.  Bill gracefully responded, stating he had fabricated these ends by taking a pair of ends from an Accurail refrigerator cars, then slicing and dicing to create the proper 4/3 ends with the flattened underside of the top rib.

I’ve got the fabrication for a set of these underway . . . . . learning how to clean up the original Accurail castings to where they’ll make good masters; I’ve got a ways to go.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Staffan Ehnbom
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 2:27 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] GN 1948 Box Cars

Forgot the photo!

Staffan

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 6:39 PM golden1014 via groups.io <golden1014=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Gents,

Looking for help please with GN box cars.  I have this Intermountain model that is a 10-foot IH, post-1948 (diagonal r/b), 12-panel car.  Ends are 3-4 Improved Dreadnaught.  Series on the model is 18xxx.  I have a few pics from a GN book to guide construction.

On the ends of this model there appear to be hols for a long horizontal grab iron.  Does anyone have a photo of the end of one of these cars so I can get the modle right?

Thanks, and God Bless,
John Golden

Staffan Ehnbom

Forgot the photo!

Staffan

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 6:39 PM golden1014 via groups.io <golden1014=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Gents,

Looking for help please with GN box cars.  I have this Intermountain model that is a 10-foot IH, post-1948 (diagonal r/b), 12-panel car.  Ends are 3-4 Improved Dreadnaught.  Series on the model is 18xxx.  I have a few pics from a GN book to guide construction.

On the ends of this model there appear to be hols for a long horizontal grab iron.  Does anyone have a photo of the end of one of these cars so I can get the modle right?

Thanks, and God Bless,
John Golden

Staffan Ehnbom

John,

Here is a photo.

Staffan Ehnbom

Hi Gents,

Thanks, and God Bless,
John Golden

Todd Sullivan

Hi John,

These cars in the 18000-18499 and 18500-18999 series are listed in Ed Hawkin's "Postwar AAR 10' IH (1945-1958)" list, available on the STMFC site.  No mention of the running boards there, but IIRC they were Gypsum expanded metal.

Todd Sullivan.

mopacfirst

I'm sure others who are more familiar with Intermountain's fumbles will chime in.  That long bar across the ends is part of the post-1967 safety standards changes.  If you're modeling before then, you can leave it off and plug the holes (I use white styrene rod).  The good news is that most of the colors that GN used are easily available in bottle form for a little touchup.

Not sure that the expanded metal running board that comes with the kit is very common either, but there is among others an RPCyc article on these cars and other postwar 10'0" boxcars.  I have built all mine, except for a couple that I changed the doors on and still need to paint the new doors to match.

Ron Merrick

golden1014

Hi Gents,

Looking for help please with GN box cars.  I have this Intermountain model that is a 10-foot IH, post-1948 (diagonal r/b), 12-panel car.  Ends are 3-4 Improved Dreadnaught.  Series on the model is 18xxx.  I have a few pics from a GN book to guide construction.

On the ends of this model there appear to be hols for a long horizontal grab iron.  Does anyone have a photo of the end of one of these cars so I can get the modle right?

Thanks, and God Bless,
John Golden