Topics

File /Lowering Intermountain Truck Bolsters.doc uploaded #file-notice

Richard Remiarz

Andrew,

It adds more problems.  The molded center sill and bolsters on the IMWX/Red Caboose underframe are much thinner (~ 0.050") than on the Intermountain cars.  The lower 0.045" of the center sill and bolsters is molded on the bottom of the floor on the IMWX/Red Caboose cars (see attached photo).  Using this underframe on an Intermountain car requires shimming the underframe 0.045".  I learned this the hard way when I tried to use an IMWX/Red Caboose on a riveted PS-1 kitbash using an Intermountain 10' 6" boxcar.

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz
Vadnais Heights, MN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Andrew Jeanes <yahoo@...>
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2020 4:21 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] File /Lowering Intermountain Truck Bolsters.doc uploaded #file-notice

Assuming one had a spare IMWX/Red Caboose underframe available, would it be more straightforward to swap it under the Intermountain carbody, or would that add new problems?

Regards,
Andrew Jeanes
Kingston, ON

Andrew Jeanes

Assuming one had a spare IMWX/Red Caboose underframe available, would it be more straightforward to swap it under the Intermountain carbody, or would that add new problems?

Regards,
Andrew Jeanes
Kingston, ON

Richard Remiarz

Tim,

As Andy Carlson already stated, the issue is that the height is incorrect with the trucks that come with the cars.  It is a fundamental issue with the underframe casting.  Since this underframe is used under many different Intermountain boxcars, it affects a large number of cars.  What I found interesting is that, as Andy stated, this has been a known problem for some time, but many modelers seem to forget about it (as I have at times).  This started with me posting a description of how I built a 40' Postwar AAR boxcar, including lowering the car, without even thinking about the significance of the issue, it is just something I do on Intermountain boxcars.  Not only were there a number of posts asking for more information, but I received a number of private emails from list members asking about how I lowered the car.  I didn't expect my description was going to raise so many questions.

I agree that with some brands of trucks additional work is required to maintain the correct height.  However, I have found that many (most) brands of trucks I use are very close in bolster height, requiring no extra efforts.  On the other hand, I just spent an hour making adjustments on an Atlas 1932 AAR boxcar to get the car to the correct height after putting on new trucks, including filing the metal bolster.

Again, thanks to Jim Brewer for putting together the document from the various emails. 

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz
Vadnais Heights, MN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 9:55 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] File /Lowering Intermountain Truck Bolsters.doc uploaded #file-notice

I've been scratching my head kind of wondering what this discussion was all about... but looking
at your document it seems to me that part of the issue is the trucks themselves.Truck bolsters made
to fit one style of underframe may not have the correct height for another style of underframe.
I always have to fuss with height when I'm using Kadee trucks, for example, on a non-Kadee model.

On 11/24/2020 6:59 PM, main@RealSTMFC.groups.io Notification wrote:

The following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the main@RealSTMFC.groups.io group.

By: Richard Remiarz

Description:
Lowering bolsters on Intermountain boxcars

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Andy Carlson

Yes, Tim, but the Intermountain house cars ride too high on THEIR own trucks. This has been known for a long time.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 7:55:43 AM PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I've been scratching my head kind of wondering what this discussion was all about... but looking
at your document it seems to me that part of the issue is the trucks themselves.Truck bolsters made
to fit one style of underframe may not have the correct height for another style of underframe.
I always have to fuss with height when I'm using Kadee trucks, for example, on a non-Kadee model.

The following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the main@RealSTMFC.groups.io group.

Description:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Description:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

main@RealSTMFC.groups.io Notification <noreply@...>

Description: