From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Andrew Jeanes <yahoo@...>
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2020 4:21 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] File /Lowering Intermountain Truck Bolsters.doc uploaded #file-notice

Assuming one had a spare IMWX/Red Caboose underframe available, would it be more straightforward to swap it under the Intermountain carbody, or would that add new problems?

Regards,
Andrew Jeanes
Kingston, ON

Andrew Jeanes

Assuming one had a spare IMWX/Red Caboose underframe available, would it be more straightforward to swap it under the Intermountain carbody, or would that add new problems?

Regards,
Andrew Jeanes
Kingston, ON

Richard Remiarz

Tim,

As Andy Carlson already stated, the issue is that the height is incorrect with the trucks that come with the cars.  It is a fundamental issue with the underframe casting.  Since this underframe is used under many different Intermountain boxcars, it affects a large number of cars.  What I found interesting is that, as Andy stated, this has been a known problem for some time, but many modelers seem to forget about it (as I have at times).  This started with me posting a description of how I built a 40' Postwar AAR boxcar, including lowering the car, without even thinking about the significance of the issue, it is just something I do on Intermountain boxcars.  Not only were there a number of posts asking for more information, but I received a number of private emails from list members asking about how I lowered the car.  I didn't expect my description was going to raise so many questions.

I agree that with some brands of trucks additional work is required to maintain the correct height.  However, I have found that many (most) brands of trucks I use are very close in bolster height, requiring no extra efforts.  On the other hand, I just spent an hour making adjustments on an Atlas 1932 AAR boxcar to get the car to the correct height after putting on new trucks, including filing the metal bolster.

Again, thanks to Jim Brewer for putting together the document from the various emails.

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz
Vadnais Heights, MN