Topics

Search STMFC question

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Al and Friends,

Richard's had two articles on the 50' SS boxcars in the July 1995 RMJ. The first article covered the prototypes, and a second was on upgrading MDC cars. He followed this up with another pair of prototype and model articles in the July 1996 RMJ.

Going a bit farther back, Richard Burg had three articles on prototype 50' SS auto and boxcars. I have parts two and three, which ran in the October and November 1989 RMJ. An unattributed addendum to Richard's series gives a list of the prototypes in the November 1989 RMJ.

You can find all these RMJ articles on the Trainlife Magazine Library in PDF format.

And let's not forget Ted Culotta's "Essential Freight Cars: 41" from RMC. I don't have the date for this one, as I clipped it off the bottom of my scans. In Ted's list of available models, he mainly lists resin kits, but also includes the MDC cars. He does not mention Walthers' cars at all.

I don't have the correspondence from the old USENET group, but IIRC, the general feeling that the Walthers car was pretty much a complete kludge. I think that scared almost everybody away in favor of the more accurate MDC cars, which might explain why there weren't any articles on upgrading the Walthers offering. I bought one as soon as they came out and thought it was a nice car, then the comments came. Mine went up for sale when I cleaned house of my Athearn and similar cars. I just checked my parts box, and discovered I have two of the A-ends from these cars (you had a choice of a 3-3-3 Dreadnaught end or the end door, with the B-end being part of the main casting), so I must have bought two and installed the end doors.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆 

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 11:43 AM al_brown03 <abrown@...> wrote:
As Fenton suggests, I've done the IC 50' SS DD box from the Walthers car. Richard Hendrickson surveyed prototypes years ago, I want to say in RMJ.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

O Fenton Wells

Well done Steve, interesting bash.
Fenton

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 11:30 AM Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

Many years ago I did shorten the Walthers 50 foot car to 40 feet as part of pair of Wabash 40 footers.  In the attached photo, the Walthers end doors went on to one of the old F&C kits on the left in the photo.  The Walthers car was shortened by removing a panel section on either side.  I am happy with the overall result, but there is a bit of funkiness to the roof rib spacing.  (I wasn’t into replacing roofs in those days.)

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 9:46 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Search STMFC question

I friend - Leo Landry - figured out to make a number of cuts into the cars to shorten
them to 40 feet. His looked fine to me but I don't know if there was an exact prototype
to match. But it may be worth looking into.

On 11/24/2020 11:08 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:

Hi-

I am reminded often that we can search for previous STMFC,io posts on subjects of our interest. Tonight I tried to find a search engine on the STMFC.io home page. I could not find one.

I admit to be at near the bottom of the curve when it comes to computer savvy skills. My search was inspired this week with a short thread about scale board groove gaps for model train single sheathed freight cars. I seem to recall that both the MDC and Walthers products of 50' single sheathed auto box cars came out originally close to the same time. I also seem to remember that Richard Hendrickson mentioned the prototype for the Walthers car was thought to be non existent.

Is the Walthers car close to any North American prototype? I admire the boards on the Walthers cars and feel them to be nicely done with the groove exagerations held in check. In particular, is there any chance for an easy kit bash into something real?

Any help here is appreciated, Stay safe, friends!

-Andy Carlson

Ojai CA

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

al_brown03

As Fenton suggests, I've done the IC 50' SS DD box from the Walthers car. Richard Hendrickson surveyed prototypes years ago, I want to say in RMJ.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Schuyler Larrabee

Nice looking cars, Steve.  Who looks at roofs (from ground level) anyway?  😊

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve and Barb Hile
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 11:30 AM

Many years ago I did shorten the Walthers 50 foot car to 40 feet as part of pair of Wabash 40 footers.  In the attached photo, the Walthers end doors went on to one of the old F&C kits on the left in the photo.  The Walthers car was shortened by removing a panel section on either side.  I am happy with the overall result, but there is a bit of funkiness to the roof rib spacing.  (I wasn’t into replacing roofs in those days.)

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor

I friend - Leo Landry - figured out to make a number of cuts into the cars to shorten
them to 40 feet. His looked fine to me but I don't know if there was an exact prototype

Hi-

I am reminded often that we can search for previous STMFC,io posts on subjects of our interest. Tonight I tried to find a search engine on the STMFC.io home page. I could not find one.

I admit to be at near the bottom of the curve when it comes to computer savvy skills. My search was inspired this week with a short thread about scale board groove gaps for model train single sheathed freight cars. I seem to recall that both the MDC and Walthers products of 50' single sheathed auto box cars came out originally close to the same time. I also seem to remember that Richard Hendrickson mentioned the prototype for the Walthers car was thought to be non existent.

Is the Walthers car close to any North American prototype? I admire the boards on the Walthers cars and feel them to be nicely done with the groove exagerations held in check. In particular, is there any chance for an easy kit bash into something real?

-Andy Carlson

Ojai CA

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

Steve Hile

Hi-

-Andy Carlson

Ojai CA

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

I only know Leo from phone contact, but he said to me that project results in a “nearly exact” model of an EL box car.  Very clever work and extremely well done.  IF he had a computer, he’d be a worthy member of RealSTMFC.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 10:46 AM

Hi-

-Andy Carlson

Ojai CA

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

O Fenton Wells

The Walthers car is a 'peaked' roof car while the mDC cars are radial roof cars.  Not sure if the Walthers car has a prototype but it might be a starting point for the IC 50 ft OB car.
Fenton

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 10:46 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Hi-

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Tim O'Connor

Hi-

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

WILLIAM PARDIE

Oooops!  Sorry:

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/24/20 7:04 PM (GMT-10:00)

Hi Again Andy:
hile you are searching could you please forward a copy of the Great Northern box xar I n question?  When I got home and went to compare the ends the photo had escaped my computer.

Bill

Date: 11/24/20 6:08 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Search STMFC question

Hi-

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

WILLIAM PARDIE

Hi Again Andy:
hile you are searching could you please forward a copy of the Great Northern box xar I n question?  When I got home and went to compare the ends the photo had escaped my computer.

Bill

Date: 11/24/20 6:08 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Search STMFC question

Hi-

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Guy Wilber

Andy wrote:

“I am reminded often that we can search for previous STMFC,io posts on subjects of our interest. Tonight I tried to find a search engine on the STMFC.io home page. I could not find one.”

Click on “View/Reply Online” below any post.  Click search in the next window and go nuts.  You’ll be amazed what we have covered in the last 20 years!

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Andy Carlson

Hi-

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA