Frisco “Sawtooth” boxcar photo

Marty McGuirk

Anyone have a prototype photo (or reference to one) of these cars as they would have looked in the 1930s?
The Westerfield kit (their no. 11251) has a couple of builders photos, but would like to see a prototype picture before I move forward with this car.
Thanks!
Marty McGuirk
Sent from my iPhone

Ray Breyer

I've attached what I've got, Marty. I "think" this is a shot from 1940 St. Louis. It's as close as I can come (these cars are pretty elusive).

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Monday, November 30, 2020, 05:11:22 PM CST, Marty McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

Anyone have a prototype photo (or reference to one) of these cars as they would have looked in the 1930s?
The Westerfield kit (their no. 11251) has a couple of builders photos, but would like to see a prototype picture before I move forward with this car.
Thanks!
Marty McGuirk

John Sanders

Here is a photo of one of the cars renumbered with a stores department stencil. The Frisco Lines coon skin emblem in this 1947 photo matches the 1940 lettering in the previous photograph.

John Sanders

Benjamin Scanlon

This is all I have but you may have seen them already.
--
Ben Scanlon
Tottenham, England

radiodial868

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 07:00 PM, John Sanders wrote:

Here is a photo of one of the cars renumbered with a stores department stencil. The Frisco Lines coon skin emblem in this 1947 photo matches the 1940 lettering in the previous photograph.

John Sanders

That is an excellent photo John. It highlights the 3-piece running board supports found on so many boxcars. Here in 2020 we are still using big square blobs on our models for supports. I wish I had the metal-etch chops that Pierre Oliver has.
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Marty McGuirk

Thanks to all for the photos.
Good point about the running board brackets.
Of course I was focused on the somewhat unusual lateral support brackets. I think I might have to go with shim brass strips to get them to look right and have some structural strength.
Marty

On Dec 1, 2020, at 9:48 AM, radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 07:00 PM, John Sanders wrote:

Here is a photo of one of the cars renumbered with a stores department stencil. The Frisco Lines coon skin emblem in this 1947 photo matches the 1940 lettering in the previous photograph.

John Sanders

That is an excellent photo John. It highlights the 3-piece running board supports found on so many boxcars. Here in 2020 we are still using big square blobs on our models for supports. I wish I had the metal-etch chops that Pierre Oliver has.
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Bruce Smith

Folks,

Um, Pierre DOES make these 😉 I have used them on several recent builds including the 2020 SnT Bx-34. The set also includes brake step brackets and his really neat supports for the ends of the running boards as well

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

[...]

YMW has the lateral supports, that should help Marty. I was referring to the longitudinal running board supports ("saddles" is the industry term on drawings).

-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Guy Wilber

R. J. Dial wrote:

“YMW has the lateral supports, that should help Marty. I was referring to the longitudinal running board supports ("saddles" is the industry term on drawings).”

As “Latitudinal Running Board” is the official term used by The MCBA, ARA and AAR.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

radiodial868

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 08:33 AM, Guy Wilber wrote:

As “Latitudinal Running Board” is the official term used by The MCBA, ARA and AAR.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada
Ha!
Well, that is just silly now. Latitudinal means "width" and Longitudinal means "length".
No wonder we are all nuts.
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Tony Thompson

Guy Wilber wrote:
As “Latitudinal Running Board” is the official term used by The MCBA, ARA and AAR.
    RJ Dial replied"
Ha!
Well, that is just silly now. Latitudinal means "width" and Longitudinal means "length".

Um, Guy was talking about what modelers often call the "lateral" or "corner" running boards, not the long one down the car center.

Tony Thompson