Decals for 1930's boxcars?

irv_thomae

I hate to ask "dumb questions", but after three hours of fruitless online searching, I'm probably about to do so anyway.
I've been trying to find HO scale decals appropriate for  AAR boxcars (10' IH, not the taller "modified" design) as built for CN, CP, NKP, Soo, and possibly RDG .   I'm looking for their original lettering schemes, nothing applied after about the first qtr of 1940.
  Also other steel boxcars built earlier in the 30's for those and any other northeastern roads.
   I love Speedwitch Media decals, and I do have Ted's Erie and C&O decal sets, but unless I've overlooked something, I don't think he's done pre-war lettering schemes for other AAR boxcars.
Microscale's current online offerings seem to be heavily tilted away from steam era freight cars, what other suppliers should I be looking at?
Thanks,
Irv Thomae

Robert kirkham

Well, for CP and CN (and maybe others) go to Blackcat Publishing - excellent decals and right for the cars you are modelling as well as the era.

Rob Kirkham

On Dec 25, 2020, at 8:44 PM, irv_thomae <irvthomae@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Carlson

The Reading didn’t have any 10’ IH AAR boxcars, assuming you mean the 1937 AAR car.

For NKP decals K4 decals have done sets that could be pieced together.  Resin car works has one for a wood car that might be used in conjunction with appropriate data.

Brian J. Carlson

On Dec 25, 2020, at 11:44 PM, irv_thomae <irvthomae@...> wrote:

[...]

Thomas Klosterman

How about Mount Vernon Shops?

irv_thomae

  My principal source of information is the compilation of "1937 AAR Boxcars (1936-1947)" by Ed Hawkins, which lists 300 RDG cars, numbered 103000-103299, built in Nov 1937.  They had Duryea underframes, 3-panel Creco doors, Alan Wood Super Diamond running boards, and an unusual side-sheet rivet pattern.   That would make for a quite unusual model, but I probably won't be ambitious enough to tackle it.

  I appreciate your suggesting K4 Decals for NKP, and I have been corresponding with Michael Hood.   I would like to model a car from the #15500-15999 series, built in Sept 1937, as it would have looked in the first half of 1941.

   The decal sheet that K4 currently offers (in several scales) uses a version of the NKP herald in which the 'K' in "Nickel Plate Road" has a curved "tail" but the 'R' does not.   Do you or anyone else happen to know when the decorated 'R' came into use? Pg 146 of Ted Culotta's "Freight Car Reference Book" shows that herald on NKP #20177, which was built in January 1940.  However, in that photo taken on July 10, 1943, the car looks as if it has been freshly repainted.
Thanks!!
Irv

Brian Carlson

Those are the Reading XMV class. They are not typical 1937 AAR cars. They were built by the Reading shops. If you were looking for typical 1937 cars, tabbed sills, Murphy roof etc. they aren’t them. They are available from F&C in HO.

As built ref NKP 15000 series would have been painted like this when built.  I don’t have a great pic.

The swing tail R started with the 1941 builds, I think. Ray Breyer will correct me if I’m wrong. The swing trail R was until the end of the war when the straight leg R was used.

Brian J. Carlson

On Dec 27, 2020, at 1:51 PM, irv_thomae <irvthomae@...> wrote:

[...]

Tony Thompson

Brian Carlson wrote:

As built ref NKP 15000 series would have been painted like this when built.  I don’t have a great pic.

   Kind of a twisted perspective on the NKP . . .

Tony Thompson

Ray Breyer

Hi Irv,

The Nickel Plate's "swing tail R" was in use in advertising since the teens, but only used on some rolling stock and engines during the 1939-1947 period (and even then, was only haphazardly applied). During the war years all three styles of "ROAD" were in use at the same time, making modeling from photos a must.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL