Photo: D&RGW Gondola 70298 (1949)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: D&RGW Gondola 70298 (1949)

A photo from the Denver Public Library:

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/81310/rec/333

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image.

A Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad standard gauge gondola car #70298 is loaded with sugar beets in Monte Vista (Rio Grande County), Colorado. A man stands on the sugar beet loader, beside a conveyor.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I think I see the date built, stencilled under the billboard letters "RIO".

It might read BLT 4-1922, but it is somewhat blurry.

Anyone know DRGW rolling stock well enough to say if I am reading this correctly?

TIA

Claus Schlund

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image.

A Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad standard gauge gondola car #70298 is loaded with sugar beets in Monte Vista (Rio Grande County), Colorado. A man stands on the sugar beet loader, beside a conveyor.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Claus,

D&RGW 70000-70699 were indeed built in 1922 by Western Steel Car & Foundry. These were GS cars with an inside length of 46' and a capacity of 70 tons, making them something like monsters in their time. Their primary assignments were coal service, with some later bumped to limestone service on the regauged Monarch Branch.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 10:22 AM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,

I think I see the date built, stencilled under the billboard letters "RIO".

It might read BLT 4-1922, but it is somewhat blurry.

Anyone know DRGW rolling stock well enough to say if I am reading this correctly?

TIA

Claus Schlund

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image.

A Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad standard gauge gondola car #70298 is loaded with sugar beets in Monte Vista (Rio Grande County), Colorado. A man stands on the sugar beet loader, beside a conveyor.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

Interesting trucks, too. The outside-hung brake beam was uncommon on freight cars by the time these were built in 1923.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image.

A Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad standard gauge gondola car #70298 is loaded with sugar beets in Monte Vista (Rio Grande County), Colorado. A man stands on the sugar beet loader, beside a conveyor.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

I noticed that Eric, and I first thought that those must be replacement trucks.  The sideframes look much more modern than 1922, but outside hung on a truck with those sideframes seems very odd.

Schuyler

Interesting trucks, too. The outside-hung brake beam was uncommon on freight cars by the time these were built in 1923.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image.

A Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad standard gauge gondola car #70298 is loaded with sugar beets in Monte Vista (Rio Grande County), Colorado. A man stands on the sugar beet loader, beside a conveyor.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Andy Carlson

Good morning, everybody!

70-ton trucks. The EJ&E had some ASF A3 70-ton trucks with outside clast brakes on some cars. A survivor is at the Fillmore & Western RR in Ventura County, just a 100 miles or so West of LA. It had its outside brakes removed at some point. It may even be a spring-plank truck.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann

Interesting trucks, too. The outside-hung brake beam was uncommon on freight cars by the time these were built in 1923.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Corey Bonsall

Hi Everyone,

In researching the 3D prints of these cars, one of the locations for information I was able to find freely is the June 1922 Railway Review on Google Books, that has an article on these very cars when "new".  I'll see if I can link it here:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Railway_Review/DCY-AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=railway%20review%20june%201922&pg=PA841&printsec=frontcover

Scroll to pages 841 - 844

Or if this works:  https://books.google.com/books/content?id=DCY-AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA841&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&bul=1&sig=ACfU3U3havnuR6b67YZYnijcOgYQ8HYnQQ&ci=17%2C894%2C951%2C409&edge=0

Hope you find that interesting!

Corey Bonsall

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 09:49 AM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
I noticed that Eric, and I first thought that those must be replacement trucks.  The sideframes look much more modern than 1922, but outside hung on a truck with those sideframes seems very odd.
These cars had clasp brakes, that is, brake shoes on both sides of the wheel, similar to passenger cars. The big B&LE hoppers built about fifteen years later had them also. Clasp brakes, which pinch the wheel between opposing brake shoes, develop more braking power per axle, a consideration when running full trains of these heavy (for the time) cars.

 Dennis Storzek

Schuyler Larrabee

Dennis Storzek wrote:

These cars had clasp brakes . . . more braking power per axle

Which explains a lot, Dennis, thanks.

Schuyler

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 09:49 AM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

I noticed that Eric, and I first thought that those must be replacement trucks.  The sideframes look much more modern than 1922, but outside hung on a truck with those sideframes seems very odd.

These cars had clasp brakes, that is, brake shoes on both sides of the wheel, similar to passenger cars. The big B&LE hoppers built about fifteen years later had them also. Clasp brakes, which pinch the wheel between opposing brake shoes, develop more braking power per axle, a consideration when running full trains of these heavy (for the time) cars.

 Dennis Storzek

Todd Sullivan

Thank you, Corey.

The D&RGW GS gons and UCR gondola kits that you offer in 3D printed versions fill a gap.  I've built one of the UCR models, and it went together well and looks good.  I have a DRGW 46ft kit yet to build.  Interesting note that some UCR gondolas show up in photos hauling logs in the Seattle-Tacoma area.  I suspect the cars came north loaded with coal or copper concentrate, and were stolen for a while to haul logs.  I am modeling the NP's Grays Harbor Branch in 1952, so my UCF gon will get pressed into such service.  However I'll make sure that one of my Yard Masters sends the car back home! :-)

Todd Sullivan

Eric Hansmann

Thanks for the clasp brakes term, Dennis. I knew it was something but the words weren’t there.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

George Corral

A 3-D printed set of these trucks without wheel sets is currently available on ebay,  Does anyone have experience with these or any other 3-D printed trucks?  Do they require inserts or bearings to function properly and consistently?

George Corral

Corey Bonsall

Mr. Sullivan,

I'm glad you enjoy your cars!  I think I saw one of those photos come across here of the UCR cars in log service, and it was very intriguing.  These cars and kits are definitely a labor of love, it would be great to see a photo of your GS gon in such service.

Corey

Todd Sullivan

Hi Corey,

There are a couple of thins that will come before a photo  of my UCR gon in log service:

1) Completion of our new house, scheduled for March 8 currently, but subject to possible delays (as witha any major construction project).
2) Moving 2/3 of our household goods and 85% of my model RRing equipment and material dwon to Texas from Syracuse, NY.
3) Building a new layout.

All are possible and currently on track.

I guess I could create a photo diorama and tackle your request that way.  That's actually a good idea, as I have nowhere to take realistic photos of my models.  I might get that done in a month or so.

Todd.

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 9:03:47 PM CST, Corey Bonsall <coreybonsall@...> wrote:

Mr. Sullivan,

I'm glad you enjoy your cars!  I think I saw one of those photos come across here of the UCR cars in log service, and it was very intriguing.  These cars and kits are definitely a labor of love, it would be great to see a photo of your GS gon in such service.

Corey

Todd Sullivan

George,

I don't have a set of the clasp trucks, but I do have a set of trucks for the 40' UCR gondola from the same 3D printer.  The trucks are equipped with Tangent wheel sets, and they roll reasonably well, not like a Delrin truck, but well enough.

Todd Sullivan