From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brad Andonian
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2020 6:46 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Lackawanna & Southern poultry cars

Good evening,

does anyone have images or car numbers ?   I believe both roads had a few.

thanks,
brad andonian

Drew M.

Brad,
   If you get a copy of Thomas Townsend Taber III's Lackawanna history series of three volumes the third and final volume has a series of equipment diagrams. One of the diagrams is for a poultry car and included is a photo of one such car. It has been a while since I looked at the information but I believe they were leased Live Stock Poultry cars - LPTX reporting marks.

Drew Marshall, Philly PA

Modeling the pre-Depression years.

Sent from TypeApp

On Dec 30, 2020, at 19:46, Brad Andonian <brad@...> wrote:
Good evening,

does anyone have images or car numbers ?   I believe both roads had a few.

thanks,
brad andonian

Steve SANDIFER

I have in my files the plans for a Southern Railroad Poultry Car dated 1906. It looks more like a stock car with screens, definitely not a LPTC clone. It is copyright Southern Railway Historical Association.

The May 1906 ORER says the Southern had 18 Poultry cars. The 1911 states 41 Southern Poultry cars. June 1917 lists 43. 1925 lists 24. 1940 lists none.

J. Stephen Sandifer

I have nothing, except Kristen’s note that states 1900 circa ORER’s do list some railroad owned poultry cars. The ORER’s would give you car numbers and dimensions. But as to what they looked like, I have no idea. I don’t know if the railroad owned cars were built Live Poultry design, some other poultry car design or to a railroad specified plan.

Doug Harding

wwwiowacentralrr.org

does anyone have images or car numbers ?   I believe both roads had a few.

thanks,
brad andonian

earlyrail

I'll get the list started

June 1905 ORER
DL&W  series 4560 - 4699  36'  50 cars
Sou   series 44900 - 44919    36'  18 cars

Oct 1919 ORER
DL&W 4650 - 4699  27 cars
SOU   44875 - 44899 25 cars
          44900 - 44942  10 cars

Howard Garner

Ken O'Brien

Brad,
Delving deeper into the Taber volume cited by Drew, the caption for the poultry car class L-1 says 50 cars were built in 1898 and 1899 in the Scranton car shops. These were scrapped in 1921.
Sides and ends were open slatted with no provision for a drover. A drovers car was used.

Ken O'Brien