H.C. Frick Hoppers

Larry Smith

Bowser produced an H.C. Frick GLC hopper car.  Did Frick indeed have hoppers and if so what happened to them.

Larry Smith

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Larry and List Members,

Larry asked: "Bowser produced an H.C. Frick GLC hopper car.  Did Frick indeed have hoppers and if so what happened to them"

Let's take this one step at a time...

(1) "Bowser produced an H.C. Frick GLC hopper car" - Larry, are you sure they produced a GLC? I thought they produced a GLa, in both HO and N scales... but I am an N scaler myself and so I don't thoroughly know their HO offerings.

(2) "Did Frick indeed have hoppers" - the answer is yes, they did. See attached image of a Frick hopper - the car in the image is a PRR class H21a clone. See also Feb 2002 RMJ paper page 23 for an image of PRR GLa design car HCF 4001, available at the link below...

(3) "what happened to them" - in the above RMJ article, Richard Burg writes: "...sold off the GLa fleet, probably to the PRR"

Hope this helps.

Claus Schlund

Eric Hansmann

Bowser produced a GLa decorated for Frick. It’s about halfway down this page on the left.

https://www.bowser-trains.com/history/glahistory.html

it does not seem like they have produced the H21 with Frick lettering.

https://www.bowser-trains.com/history/h21history.html

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

Eric and all

My mistake on saying GLc as it should have been, GLa.  Thanks for the information and the article from RMJ

Larry Smith

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 2:27:13 PM CST, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

[...]

Keith Retterer

This is what the Frick hopper looked like brand new in 1905.