Topics

StLB&M flat car

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Eric. :-)

On 1/10/2021 2:44 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:

Chad Boas’ kit list has been updated today.

http://resincarworks.com/boas_kitlist_201506.pdf

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Semon
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 11:22 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] StLB&M flat car

Bruce,

These might be the kits you are looking for:

Flat car kits $15 each Includes main body casting and laser-cut wood floor piece.

MP 8000 series 45’ fish belly side sill

MP 8100 series 50’ fish belly side sill

Mail orders to Chad Boas, 30 N 30th Street, Lafayette, IN. 47904

Or contact me at my email address chadboas@...

C. Duckworth Photo

Gene Semon

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Smith

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 10:51 AM
To: STMFC <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] StLB&M flat car

Folks,

In the movie "Troop Train", StLB&M flat car 8376 is featured as part of a pre- or early WWII movement of troops with their equipment. A quick check of the 1943 ORER show that there are 50 cars in this series and that these are the only flat cars with StLB&M reporting marks. Does anyone have any additional information on this series of cars? 

I note that Mask Island has decals in HO for them so I also wonder if there is an appropriate HO model?

Regards,

Bruce Smith

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Eric Hansmann

Chad Boas’ kit list has been updated today.

http://resincarworks.com/boas_kitlist_201506.pdf

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Semon
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Bruce,

Flat car kits $15 each Includes main body casting and laser-cut wood floor piece.

C. Duckworth Photo

Gene Semon

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Smith

Folks,

In the movie "Troop Train", StLB&M flat car 8376 is featured as part of a pre- or early WWII movement of troops with their equipment. A quick check of the 1943 ORER show that there are 50 cars in this series and that these are the only flat cars with StLB&M reporting marks. Does anyone have any additional information on this series of cars? 

I note that Mask Island has decals in HO for them so I also wonder if there is an appropriate HO model?

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Image removed by sender.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Ed Hawkins

On Jan 10, 2021, at 10:51 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Bruce,
Following is some history & other info. In August 1941 Missouri Pacific and subsidiary International-Great Northern (I-GN) each placed orders with Bethlehem Steel Co. (BSC) for 50 flat cars of 50-ton capacity & 50’-0” length. BSC assigned to order DF 45. 

With the changing times & advent of the U.S. entry into second world war, production was increased to 100 MP cars & the 50 identical cars originally ordered by I-GN switched to another MoPac subsidiary St. Louis, Brownsville & Mexico. Delivery of the 150 flat cars occurred in June 1942, numbered MP 8100-8199 & StLB&M 8350-8399. 

The cars of riveted construction came with fish-belly side sills, 15 stake pockets per side, 12” rolled-channel end sills, 2 3/4” x 7 1/4” x 9’-4” yellow pine wood flooring, Universal Multi-Power Drop Shaft hand brake, Apex defect card holder double truss spring plankless trucks, and cast iron wheels. Painted black with white stencils. 

Starting around mid-1956 after Missouri Pacific had emerged from receivership, locomotives & rolling stock of MoPac subsidiaries I-GN, StLB&M & NOT&M had their reporting mark stencils changed to MP while retaining their original numbers. 

In late 1960 a handful of the cars from both series received 3’-4” high bulkheads, 46’ inside length, for hauling aluminum ingots. Later conversions are out of scope for STMFC.

Photos I’m aware of include a 3/4BL BSC builder photo of MP 8140 in the 1943 & 1946 Car Builders’ Cyclopedia (page 197 & 194, respectively); Bob’s Photo - Col. Chet McCoid, StLB&M 8373 with lumber load on 5/21/56; Dick Kuelbs photo MP 8166 on 11/24/60 with lumber load.

Gene Semon has answered your question about HO models. 
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

mopacfirst

These are 50'0" over "flooring and end sills", as the diagram calls out.  Bethlehem 1942, lot DF45.  These 50, plus MP 8100-8199, started out as general service flatcars.  They had 15 stake pockets.  They were typical of the era, with the deck 9'-4" wide, all inside the stake pockets.  8373 was apparently the last un-renumbered car, which was probably restenciled MP sometime after 1956.

They were mostly converted to piggyback, with bridge plates and rub rails, and one ACF model 2 hitch.  Some were converted to brick service, with 4'-0" bulkheads and side grates.  Some were converted to pig flat before the complete renumbering of freight cars, and these carried 99xxx series numbers, then were renumbered to 833000-833130.  A few stayed as general service flatcars.  So actually you have 150 cars to choose from for modeling purposes.

Many years ago I used an Athearn 50' flatcar, as a pretty close model, long before the resin era.

The attached photo shows one with a company load, an MPTL box truck which was delivered by MP to Wichita, presumably to save driving it the 482 miles from St. Louis.

Ron Merrick

Ron Merrick

Bruce Smith

Of course! I should have known Chad would have done these.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Gene Semon <mopac1@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Bruce,

C. Duckworth Photo

Gene Semon

Folks,

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Gene Semon

Bruce,

C. Duckworth Photo

Gene Semon

Folks,

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Bruce Smith

Folks,

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL