Photos: NYC Boxcar 256241 (1926)


Bob Chaparro
 

Photos: NYC Boxcar 256241 (1926)

Photos from the National Parks Service Collection:

https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/d6640030-2761-4839-8b1e-5a182cfbd0fb

https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/7a4f1332-57bb-409a-be52-5ea3606c9f12

https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/75a39ae4-84d0-4bef-b7f4-00c6825fddc1

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

Built in 1912.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Dennis Storzek
 

This is essentially the Accurail 1700 series boxcar showing the extra straps the NYC added to reinforce the ends.

Dennis Storzek


ROGER HINMAN
 

This is ACF lot 6421 and there a bunch of builder’s photos on the Westerfield ACF CD. Comparing the photos shows straps added not only around the ends, but also a beefed up siding protector beneath the door, a large door stop added and also an extended roof fascia board. All would be quite easy to add to the Accurail car as Dennis mentions.

Roger Hinman

On Jan 11, 2021, at 3:03 PM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

This is essentially the Accurail 1700 series boxcar showing the extra straps the NYC added to reinforce the ends.

Dennis Storzek


Dennis Storzek
 

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 02:37 PM, ROGER HINMAN wrote:
This is ACF lot 6421 and there a bunch of builder’s photos on the Westerfield ACF CD. Comparing the photos shows straps added not only around the ends, but also a beefed up siding protector beneath the door, a large door stop added and also an extended roof fascia board.
I bet they also show the original roof with round seam caps held on with cast fittings screwed to the fascia, same as what shows on the Pullman and Haskell & Barker drawings of similar cars. I briefly considered tooling that roof, but they didn't last very long in service. Here the car in the photo is 14 years old and has been re-roofed already. Actually, I once had the opportunity to inspect the inside of one of the similar NYC 40' automobile cars, built in 1917, and it was stenciled on the inside of the side plate "NEW ROOF APPLIED E.R. ..." and a date in 1922 that escapes me now, but at the time I made a mental note that the car had been re-roofed when five years old.

Dennis Storzek


ROGER HINMAN
 

I stayed silent on the topic of reroofing since the photo on the Westerfield CD is very hazy around the roof line, but on further examination you are correct as the wider seam caps on the replacement roof are very visible in the updated car. I cropped a mini photo of the roof to fascia attachment on the as-built car.


On Jan 11, 2021, at 8:23 PM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 02:37 PM, ROGER HINMAN wrote:
This is ACF lot 6421 and there a bunch of builder’s photos on the Westerfield ACF CD. Comparing the photos shows straps added not only around the ends, but also a beefed up siding protector beneath the door, a large door stop added and also an extended roof fascia board.
I bet they also show the original roof with round seam caps held on with cast fittings screwed to the fascia, same as what shows on the Pullman and Haskell & Barker drawings of similar cars. I briefly considered tooling that roof, but they didn't last very long in service. Here the car in the photo is 14 years old and has been re-roofed already. Actually, I once had the opportunity to inspect the inside of one of the similar NYC 40' automobile cars, built in 1917, and it was stenciled on the inside of the side plate "NEW ROOF APPLIED E.R. ..." and a date in 1922 that escapes me now, but at the time I made a mental note that the car had been re-roofed when five years old.

Dennis Storzek