Topics

HO Truck ID?

Ken Adams

The Passenger Car List has a pdf in their files section with nice new list of available passenger car trucks which shows a picture of the prototype in the left column and the pictures of available model versions in the right column to allow for more than one model version.  It was compiled by Steve Hile and several others well known in the hobby.  They have separated the list by era's when the prototype was introduced as well.

A Freight car truck listing would probably be a much larger effort assembling the prototype photos along with taking posed model photos. . A series of offline groups might get together (electronically) to take up and publish by section. My collection of unused trucks isn't that large but I would be willing to help compile. With the new costs of Groups.io, setting up a new group here might not be the best place.  I do own a free unused legacy group from a group naming mistake if that would help. It is tightly controlled at the moment to ensure no one tries to join it. It could be repurposed and controlled for putting together parts of the list.  To be maintained it needs to be published to a tightly controlled net location that does not require membership but has tight ownership controls. I would suggest separate versions and ownerships for different scales.
--
Ken Adams

Tony Thompson

RJ Dial wrote:

Richard's list is 8 years old now, many more trucks since then from Tichy and Tahoe Model Works and others.  Too bad the rights didn't pass to someone to able to keep it going. That sure was handy.

    I am the person that posted Richard's original text and all the updates he did, at his request, and I have his original writings. If there are "rights" I have them. If anyone wants to make updates, I can supply the original documents.

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro

The June 2018 issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist featured an article by Richard Bale on freight car trucks. It's an in-depth article with many illustrations.

Here is a link:

http://mrhpub.com/2018-06-jun/online/

Click on "Read Now", then go to the Table of Contents.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jim Betz

  I would be -very- surprised if anyone objects to someone taking Richard's
work and updating it ... give credit? ... just saying.  Post it here in the files
area if you do - be open to "getting help" from others who see problems in
what you do of course.

  "Too bad the rights didn't pass to someone to able to keep it going. That sure was handy."
                                                                                                - Jim

radiodial868

Got all my trucks classified now. Sure a lot of interpretations and versions of AAR and ASF type cast frame trucks.  Richard's list is 8 years old now, many more trucks since then from Tichy and Tahoe Model Works and others.  Too bad the rights didn't pass to someone to able to keep it going. That sure was handy.

-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek

Thanks, Bob.  Just needed where to look.

Jim van Gaasbeek

Irvine, CA

Jim van Gaasbeek: Can you please provide a link to “Richard Hendrickson's treatise on HO Trucks”?

Follow the links here:

Freight Car Trucks 1900-1960 (groups.io)

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

Jim van Gaasbeek: Can you please provide a link to “Richard Hendrickson's treatise on HO Trucks”?

Follow the links here:

Freight Car Trucks 1900-1960 (groups.io)

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

Given the size and scope of our library in the Files section of the groups.io page, it seems like this document should be there.  I don't seem to have permission to upload, but perhaps someone else can.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek

Can you please provide a link to “Richard Hendrickson's treatise on HO Trucks”?

Thanks.

Jim van Gaasbeek

Irvine, CA

radiodial868

Thanks to a kind soul here on the list, I was reminded of Richard Hendrickson's treatise on HO Trucks. Man, we all miss that guy.
Is an early Life-Like product of a "AAR 50 Ton Double Truss Self-Aligning Spring-Plankless" truck, just like Lester called it. Really crude by today's standards. Those journals are huge compared to TMW and Kadee. I think I've traced them back to Ertl products, who must have obtained these rather cartoonish trucks from Life-Like.
Going to now spend this foggy Saturday sorting and labeling my boxes of trucks appropriately.

--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

mopacfirst

I have used some MDC trucks that had a very arched or rounded top chord, which looked like some trucks I had seen on cars from the 20s, when I modeled older cars.  Perhaps they were in the 50' single-sheathed double door box, and possibly others but that's the first one I can think of.  Is this the same one as you have?

Ron Merrick

Lester Breuer

An ARA/AAR truck that came  in Model Die Casting kits.
Lester Breuer

radiodial868

I came across in my stash a half dozen pair of these. They look better in person, but I can't figure out what they might represent. 5 springs and some big-ass journals, 6"x11", so maybe in the 70 ton range. Only markings is a "2" on the underside of the bolster.
Any thoughts?

--
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA