South Georgia Railway boxcar #1601

Steven D Johnson

I found this Whitcomb Locomotives ad in the April-July 1935 issue of BALDWIN LOCOMOTIVES magazine.  The South Georgia Ry. boxcar really caught my attention.  I don’t recall ever seeing a photo of a freight car from that road.   Anyone have other photos or information about this car or its sisters? Or any other South Georgia Ry. freight cars?

Here are some web resources about the company:

https://hawkinsrails.net/shortlines/sg/sg.html

http://www.taplines.net/southgeorgia/sgry1.htm

I think Bill Welch would have loved this example from one of the lesser-known “y’all roads.”

Steve Johnson

Nashville, TN

Bill Parks

Steve -

I just checked the Jan 1953 ORER, and, at that time, South GA Railway only had 4 freight cars in interchange service.  They had two 40 ft. flats (#875, 876) and 35 ft. flat (#877) and one 40 ft. box (#1600).  No idea when 1601 got dropped from their inventory.  It will probably take looking into other ORERs between 1935 & 1953.

I know this isn't much info, but maybe it will help.

--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA

Steve,

Cool car! I have an ORER listing from April 1951 which shows one boxar from what I presume is this series. It is South Georgia 1600, an XM: 40' 6" IL, 9' IW, 10' 2 1/4" IH, 12' 1" doors, 3739 cu ft, and 80000 capacity. Their only other cars at that time were two 41' flat cars, numbered 875 and 876, and a 35' 4" flat car numbered 877.

My 1958 ORER shows the line as a Southern-controlled shortline with no separate listing for equipment.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 4:21 PM Steven D Johnson <tenncentralrwy@...> wrote:

I found this Whitcomb Locomotives ad in the April-July 1935 issue of BALDWIN LOCOMOTIVES magazine.  The South Georgia Ry. boxcar really caught my attention.  I don’t recall ever seeing a photo of a freight car from that road.   Anyone have other photos or information about this car or its sisters? Or any other South Georgia Ry. freight cars?

Here are some web resources about the company:

https://hawkinsrails.net/shortlines/sg/sg.html

http://www.taplines.net/southgeorgia/sgry1.htm

I think Bill Welch would have loved this example from one of the lesser-known “y’all roads.”

Steve Johnson

Nashville, TN

Attachments:

mel perry

looks brand new or a complete rebuilt?
mel perry

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021, 1:21 PM Steven D Johnson <tenncentralrwy@...> wrote:

I found this Whitcomb Locomotives ad in the April-July 1935 issue of BALDWIN LOCOMOTIVES magazine.  The South Georgia Ry. boxcar really caught my attention.  I don’t recall ever seeing a photo of a freight car from that road.   Anyone have other photos or information about this car or its sisters? Or any other South Georgia Ry. freight cars?

Here are some web resources about the company:

https://hawkinsrails.net/shortlines/sg/sg.html

http://www.taplines.net/southgeorgia/sgry1.htm

I think Bill Welch would have loved this example from one of the lesser-known “y’all roads.”

Steve Johnson

Nashville, TN

Attachments:

Steven D Johnson

Bill and Garth,

Thanks for the information from the ORERs.

Examining the photos, I can make out “NEW 2(?)-34, and the Mt. Vernon Car Mfg. Co. builder’s stencil to the right of the doors.

Steve Johnson

[...]

Larry Buell

I looked up South Georgia Ry. in the January, 1932 ORER . Before the addition of 1601, etc., the South Georgia only had three boxcars (5001-5003, 37’ 9-1/4” outside length) and five flats.  The January 1949 ORER only lists one box: 1600 and three flats.

L Buell