Topics

Jim Kinkaid's Freight Car Photos Collection

akerboomk

Note for downloads from the Kinkaid collection:
If you click on a picture in the "gallery" view, it appears that Smugmug creates a "reduced resolution" JPG to display
If you then right-click -> Save Image As, you get a "gibberish" filename at reduced resolution
For one file I did, it was 65KB (vs. 431KB for the actual file)
You must click on the "download" button (filename should be "reasonable"!)
Either the one Steve indicated, or (in the Gallery view) if you hover over an image, there is a "download" icon in the lower right corner (see attached? image)
--
Ken Akerboom

Steve and Barb Hile

Here is an update to the Jim Kinkaid Collection on the Pullman Library site.

We have added the A section railroads that were not initially available.

Please be aware that although Smug Mug offers the option of purchasing paper prints at prices not too much higher than what RR photo vendors charge, it was neither Jim's nor our intention to charge for the images.

There is a Download symbol on the left hand side of the screen that will allow you to download the image displayed.

Of course, for Windows users, there is the Right Click - Save As process, as well.

Thanks to Dick Harley for some hand holding!

Please enjoy the collection responsibly.

Steve Hile

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Almufti Hishman via groups.io" <almufti77@...>
Date: Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 6:50 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

I'm getting a warning from my Firefox browser about a security risk on this website.
MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_SELF_SIGNED_CERT
Now I do not suspect any real danger on this site, and I would not have a clue how to correct the site so this warning would not appear.
Just thought they should know some visitors are getting warned away.

regards,
Jeff Oliver

Almufti Hishman

I'm getting a warning from my Firefox browser about a security risk on this website.
MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_SELF_SIGNED_CERT
Now I do not suspect any real danger on this site, and I would not have a clue how to correct the site so this warning would not appear.
Just thought they should know some visitors are getting warned away.

regards,
Jeff Oliver

Tony Thompson

Jim Betz wrote:

. . . I noticed that a very high percentage of the flat cars did not have end numbers.

   True in most eras, Jim.

Tony Thompson

Jim Betz

Hi all,
  I just spent a couple of hours going thru a lot of the images in this collection
(and even saving a few).  As I was browsing the images one thing I noticed
was that a very high percentage of the flat cars did not have end numbers.
Some were even without -any- markings for anything (on the ends).
  Were these builder's photos and the end numbers would be added after
the RR took delivery?
                                                                                                  - Jim

David

Nice view of the straight-sill version of the Pressed Steel hopper:
https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-N-Q/i-Sv2m93j/A

David Thompson

David

There are some nice photos in there, including this rather fascinating Gl hopper rebuild:
https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-T/i-8XP6Ksn/A

David Thompson

Jack Mullen

I've just taken a quick plunge into the "C" section, and it is indeed a great collection!  Yes, many are post-STMFC.  There seem to be a lot of Greenville photos I've not seen elsewhere.  My thanks to Jim Kinkaid for preserving and sharing these, and to those who have helped make them accessible.

Jack Mullen

Schleigh Mike

This collection is awesome  Don't miss it!!!  Thanks to all.

Mike Schleigh  Grove City, Penna.