8000 gal. ICC 103-D-W tank car question

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

as some of you know I love brass models even though todays plastic and resin models are superior in detail. It's kind of nostalgic gush.
I found a very rare model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275306405690?hash=item40198a5f3a:g:A3MAAOSwLVNielG0

Aside of its incompleteness of some detail and crudeness of some other detail - is it otherwise a proportionally accurate representation of the prototype?
I easily could add train line, brake hoses, coupler lift bars, piping between valve, reservoir and cylinder, and I would replace the steps. No problem.
But should the running boards and platform be perforated? THAT would be too much and the reason to let the model go.

Many thanks

Johannes

Todd Sullivan

Hi Johannes,

I looked at the box label which says it is a "ICC 103 D W" tank car.  It looks more like an ICC 103BW, which would likely be a rubber-lined uninsulated car used for shipping acids and other corrosives.  The 8000 gallon capacity and double domes make it an especially appealing model.  It looks pretty accurate, although I don't have any photos of a suitable prototype.  It looks to be a GAT design, but other experts may chime in on that.

Todd Sullivan

Tim O'Connor

Johannes

In most respects the model resembles an "upsized" version of a 4,000 gallon prototype that was imported
in brass by Overland Models (OMI #3123) in the late 1980's.

Two dome cars over 6,000 gallons in size are incredibly rare. Here's a photo of GATX 25945 of unknown
construction date. It has 8,028 gallons capacity.

Tim O'Connor

On 5/10/2022 10:51 AM, vapeurchapelon wrote:
Hello friends,

as some of you know I love brass models even though todays plastic and resin models are superior in detail. It's kind of nostalgic gush.
I found a very rare model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275306405690?hash=item40198a5f3a:g:A3MAAOSwLVNielG0

Aside of its incompleteness of some detail and crudeness of some other detail - is it otherwise a proportionally accurate representation of the prototype?
I easily could add train line, brake hoses, coupler lift bars, piping between valve, reservoir and cylinder, and I would replace the steps. No problem.
But should the running boards and platform be perforated? THAT would be too much and the reason to let the model go.

Many thanks

Johannes

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Here's another 4,000 gallon car, built by GATC.

On 5/10/2022 11:40 AM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io wrote:
Hi Johannes,

I looked at the box label which says it is a "ICC 103 D W" tank car.  It looks more like an ICC 103BW, which would likely be a rubber-lined uninsulated car used for shipping acids and other corrosives.  The 8000 gallon capacity and double domes make it an especially appealing model.  It looks pretty accurate, although I don't have any photos of a suitable prototype.  It looks to be a GAT design, but other experts may chime in on that.

Todd Sullivan

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

It seems like the dome platform and running boards are supposed to represent an open grid with the raised rectangles, like Apex or Blaw Knox, not a solid piece.  Steel running boards and platforms need a way for water to drain and not puddle.

My 2 cents.

Steve Hile

as some of you know I love brass models even though todays plastic and resin models are superior in detail. It's kind of nostalgic gush.
I found a very rare model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275306405690?hash=item40198a5f3a:g:A3MAAOSwLVNielG0

Aside of its incompleteness of some detail and crudeness of some other detail - is it otherwise a proportionally accurate representation of the prototype?
I easily could add train line, brake hoses, coupler lift bars, piping between valve, reservoir and cylinder, and I would replace the steps. No problem.
But should the running boards and platform be perforated? THAT would be too much and the reason to let the model go.

Many thanks

Johannes

vapeurchapelon

Many thanks to all repliers! Tim, of course I am aware of the very nice OMI 4000gal car - they called it "Nice & Timy", and I would own one since a long time when it wasn't a 1960s car.

Steve, unfortunately this is what I feared. Replacing running boards and platform wouldn't be impossible, but definitely no joy...

Thanks again to all.

Johannes

Gesendet: Dienstag, 10. Mai 2022 um 20:16 Uhr
Von: "Steve and Barb Hile" <shile@...>