USRA-style Gulf tank cars

David

Todd Sullivan

OK, I'll play dummy here.  What makes these tank cars USRA tank cars?  They have underframes like the Gould/Tichy model, but the tank shells are 3 course rather than 4 course.  I thought the 4 course shell was another of the diagnostic spotting features of USRA tank cars.

Todd Sullivan

brianleppert@att.net

4 coarse shells for 10,000 capacity tanks, but these are 8,000 cap'y.  Drawings are in Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 9.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

David

The USRA drawings show four courses for the 10,000 gallon tanks, and three courses for the 8,000 gallon cars, with 5-course radial tanks as alternate constructions for both sizes.

David Thompson

Dave Parker

Todd, there is a 44-mesage thread about "Gulf Tank Cars" from Nov. 2018, that includes quite a bit of discussion of what it takes to use a Tichy frame as a starting point for the Gulf cars built by Standard Steel ca. 1920-23.  My notes show 4000 8-kgal cars, 200 10-gal, and 50 12-kgal.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

mel perry

brian:
i show tsc #9 devoted to steam locomotives? do you mean tsc #12?
thanks
;-)
mel perry

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021, 5:09 PM brianleppert@... <brianleppert@...> wrote:
4 coarse shells for 10,000 capacity tanks, but these are 8,000 cap'y.  Drawings are in Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 9.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

brianleppert@att.net

Mel,

I have #9 in my hands right here. The last many pages cover USRA freight cars.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

mel perry

brian;