Topics

Whose hopper cars were these?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Whose hopper cars were these? Unique construction. It appears the reporting marks were painted out, leaving only the road number but no sign of the owning road. A 1936 date shows on the side of the car. Archbar trucks also help date the scene.

Thanks in advance

Claus Schlund

Eric Hansmann

I vaguely see B&LE marks under the paint outs.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jan 22, 2021, at 4:49 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Whose hopper cars were these? Unique construction. It appears the reporting marks were painted out, leaving only the road number but no sign of the owning road. A 1936 date shows on the side of the car. Archbar trucks also help date the scene.

Thanks in advance

Claus Schlund

David

B&LE is the likely candidate, though Carnegie Steel also had cars of this design.
Ralston builder's photo: http://columbusrailroads.com/Ralston%20photos/ralston-142-1914-B&LE.JPG

David Thompson

Keith Retterer

Yes, B&LE hoppers.  This is the SSCC builder's photo of 1914.

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Thanks to everyone for the great information. I had seen cars of this unique construction type in images before, but I could never make out the reporting marks.

See image below for one such example taken on the DL&W - in the string of hoppers third car from the left

Claus Schlund