RDG 12343 / Reading 12870

Ray Hutchison

So Reading has a variety of cocao cars... 22870 has different roof hatches and different hopper doors than 12343.  12343 does appear to be repurposed drop-bottom box car, with the regular hopper doors 22870 appears to be built for dedicated service.  When I first saw the car I was wondering how they would be cleaned (maybe just steam cleaning through the hatches?)  Cocao husks are sold by our local botanical garden as mulch; would they have been used for same or different purpose pre-WWII period?