From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 5:39 PM
To: STMFC <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] is this a top chord reinforcement

Hi List Members,

The link below shows a RDG gondola. Along the top chord, I see an area that has been altered - is this a top chord reinforcement, or is this damage that has not yet been repaired?

Claus Schlund

Robert Allan

Thanks for sharing this lovely photo of a class GML gondola. Lots to take in. This car must some interior loading device based on the bolt heads on the car side. Many cars had Carmer cut levers, however this car has top mounted rod variety.

Lots of general wear and tear.

The Reading Company Technical and HIstorical Society "Bee Line" latest issue (V 41 issues 1 &2 ) has a very nice feature on this car class.

Bob Allan
Omaha

mopacfirst

That's a partial top chord reinforcement.  This type of reinforcement, using a piece of angle, was pretty common.  It only needed to be partial, not end-to-end, as a rule, because in the center part of the side was where the greatest bending moment was.

Ron Merrick

David

Yes, it is an additional angle piece to stiffen the top of the side. Retrofitting this angle was typically done some time after the car was built, but sometimes it was an as-built feature.

David Thompson

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)