Can someone id this model?

Pierre Oliver

This is Bill Clouser built model of a 40’ DD (12’ opening) auto boxcar with an end door. I can’t for the life of me find a prototype for this car. Any ideas? Raised panel roof, 7/7 ladders wooden running boards...

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com

Richard Townsend

Erie? Just a wild guess.

On Jan 31, 2021, at 11:32 AM, Pierre Oliver <pierre.oliver@...> wrote:

This is Bill Clouser built model of a 40’ DD (12’ opening) auto boxcar with an end door. I can’t for the life of me find a prototype for this car. Any ideas? Raised panel roof, 7/7 ladders wooden running boards...

<edmjjcokfndlibdl.jpg>

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

Schuyler Larrabee

Well, not a BAD guess, Rich, close but no cigar, so far anyway  I have a diagram of ERIE 97250-97399, a 40 tone double door box with end doors, but the roof drawing doesn’t look like a rectangular panel roof.  Of course, equipment diagram books are not to be taken completely seriously about things like roofs . . . The roof is not identified in what might be called the “agate type.”

I’ll have to see if I have a photo of this series, but I rather doubt it.

Schuyler

This is Bill Clouser built model of a 40’ DD (12’ opening) auto boxcar with an end door. I can’t for the life of me find a prototype for this car. Any ideas? Raised panel roof, 7/7 ladders wooden running boards...

<edmjjcokfndlibdl.jpg>

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

Schuyler Larrabee

Another possible series is ERIE 97400-97499..The attached photo isn’t included in that range.  Again, the diagram’s roof looks nothing like a rectangular panel roof.

Most ERIE end door cars were 50’.  When I saw Pierre’s “40 foot” I thought “I don’t think so, but . . .”

Further search in ERIE materials, from me, will have to wait ‘til tomorrow.  Busy tonight.

Schuyler

This is Bill Clouser built model of a 40’ DD (12’ opening) auto boxcar with an end door. I can’t for the life of me find a prototype for this car. Any ideas? Raised panel roof, 7/7 ladders wooden running boards...

<edmjjcokfndlibdl.jpg>

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

O Fenton Wells

I still think it is a Southern car.
Just say'in
Fenton

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 3:53 PM Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Another possible series is ERIE 97400-97499..The attached photo isn’t included in that range.  Again, the diagram’s roof looks nothing like a rectangular panel roof.

Most ERIE end door cars were 50’.  When I saw Pierre’s “40 foot” I thought “I don’t think so, but . . .”

Further search in ERIE materials, from me, will have to wait ‘til tomorrow.  Busy tonight.

Schuyler

This is Bill Clouser built model of a 40’ DD (12’ opening) auto boxcar with an end door. I can’t for the life of me find a prototype for this car. Any ideas? Raised panel roof, 7/7 ladders wooden running boards...

<edmjjcokfndlibdl.jpg>

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Rich C

I will have to agree with Fenton on the model, being Southern. One of my fellow club cronies and I were discussing Erie 40' double door boxcars for well over a month. The only end door 40' cars had radial roofs, which is inclusive to the 97400-97499. Additionally they had a few series of 40' double door types with Viking roofs. The ends on these varied from Buckeye, Inverse Buckeye and AAR standard, but no end doors. They even had a series of shop modified "raised" roof cars, but again no end doors.

Rich Christie

Tim O'Connor

CP? I dunno really - there were a number of 40 foot double door auto cars built just before WWII and then just after.

On 1/31/2021 2:32 PM, Pierre Oliver wrote:

This is Bill Clouser built model of a 40’ DD (12’ opening) auto boxcar with an end door. I can’t for the life of me find a prototype for this car. Any ideas? Raised panel roof, 7/7 ladders wooden running boards...

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Rich C

Good catch, Tim. Marc Simpson of Sylvan has produced those cars
Rich Christie

On Sunday, January 31, 2021, 07:05:19 PM CST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

CP? I dunno really - there were a number of 40 foot double door auto cars built just before WWII and then just after.

On 1/31/2021 2:32 PM, Pierre Oliver wrote:

This is Bill Clouser built model of a 40’ DD (12’ opening) auto boxcar with an end door. I can’t for the life of me find a prototype for this car. Any ideas? Raised panel roof, 7/7 ladders wooden running boards...

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

mopacfirst

This model is famous in its own right, as I recall, as one of the first models made in resin.  As an O scale model, it was a good show piece, and I recall it being exhibited at Naperville in fairly recent years.  Don't recall who owned it at that time.  In that sense, it didn't really need a prototype, as it was intended to show off the dramatic things that could be done with resin casting.  Sorry I can't be much help with the actual question.

Ron Merrick

Marc Simpson

I don't think that is a CP car, the 1937-38 cars had 13.5' door openings.  Also had 8 rung ladders.

Marc Simpson

Sent from my Galaxy

Pierre Oliver

Here's a photo of the B end, which may help

On 1/31/21 2:32 p.m., Pierre Oliver wrote:

This is Bill Clouser built model of a 40’ DD (12’ opening) auto boxcar with an end door. I can’t for the life of me find a prototype for this car. Any ideas? Raised panel roof, 7/7 ladders wooden running boards...

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

O Fenton Wells

Looks like I was wrong, SRR cars ahd 4/5 ends and 7 rung ladders.  And were pretty, just say'in
Fenton

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 9:02 PM mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:
This model is famous in its own right, as I recall, as one of the first models made in resin.  As an O scale model, it was a good show piece, and I recall it being exhibited at Naperville in fairly recent years.  Don't recall who owned it at that time.  In that sense, it didn't really need a prototype, as it was intended to show off the dramatic things that could be done with resin casting.  Sorry I can't be much help with the actual question.

Ron Merrick

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Tim O'Connor

the end does help - sets the time period prewar to around 1945

12' doors, RP flush roof and 5/5 end - won't be many that fit that profile!

On 2/1/2021 7:02 AM, Pierre Oliver wrote:

Here's a photo of the B end, which may help

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 1/31/21 2:32 p.m., Pierre Oliver wrote:

This is Bill Clouser built model of a 40’ DD (12’ opening) auto boxcar with an end door. I can’t for the life of me find a prototype for this car. Any ideas? Raised panel roof, 7/7 ladders wooden running boards...

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

Keep in mind that William J. Clouser was not exactly a prototype modeler as we understand the term today. True, he built very exacting models, both for himself, and for paid commissions. His personal modeling interest was the big orange interurban cars of the Illinois Terminal system. Other work was commissions of his professional model making business.

My understanding of how the AAR boxcars came to be is that he was commissioned to build a courtroom diorama to illustrate a switching accident. Since he needed multiple boxcars to populate this diorama, he decided to build patterns and cast parts for the number of models he needed. Since they turned out well, some of his friends wanted copies, and he obliged. Eventually he offered them for sale. He did more models for sale later, but never another freight car.

This leaves me with two conflicting thoughts. Since he bothered to craft the complicated pattern for the end door, he must have needed it for the diorama, so there should be a prototype... UNLESS the end door pattern was commissioned by someone else, who wanted an auto car, but was not going to pay for an additional B end and door patterns.

Dennis Storzek