DuPont tank car DUPX 254 - October 1944

Brian Rochon

Came across this image from the October 1944 issue of the Commercial Car Journal on the HathiTrust website.

Brian Rochon

Silver Spring, MD

Friends,

That nifty slope-backed van in the upper right is lettered for Wilson's. Addition to a Wilson's meat packing plant scene.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 7:48 AM Brian Rochon <berochon@...> wrote:

Came across this image from the October 1944 issue of the Commercial Car Journal on the HathiTrust website.

Brian Rochon

Silver Spring, MD

Attachments:

nyc3001 .

It looks like a GA-built car. What was the gallonage?

-Phil

Dave Parker

My understanding is that these ICC 105A cars dedicated to anhydrous ammonia use were all ~11,000 gallons. This one was 11,313.

Photo is too fuzzy to be certain, but it looks like an AC&F build to me.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Richard Townsend

11,313 gallons.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

It looks like a GA-built car. What was the gallonage?

-Phil

Tim O'Connor

This was part of a LARGE group of cars numbered DUPX 102 to 274 - there were still 60 cars in
this series in 1970! Why hasn't ATLAS done their car in this paint scheme? (Or have they?)

On 2/1/2021 12:34 PM, Dave Parker via groups.io wrote:
My understanding is that these ICC 105A cars dedicated to anhydrous ammonia use were all ~11,000 gallons. This one was 11,313.

Photo is too fuzzy to be certain, but it looks like an AC&F build to me.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dave Parker

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 02:40 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Why hasn't ATLAS done their car in this paint scheme? (Or have they?)
They have, but it looks like an imperfect match:

http://archive.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/ho11ktankers/0913/20002647_TQ.jpg

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Tim O'Connor

Nearly the same size and type of cars (#254 and #3257) - SHPX had a huge number
(many hundreds) of these cars

Note the built date on the prototype (#3257) is 1948. The Atlas car seems like a
reasonable facsimile of the real one, and the model number is valid and evidently so
is the paint & lettering.

On 2/5/2021 6:05 PM, Dave Parker via groups.io wrote:
On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 02:40 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Why hasn't ATLAS done their car in this paint scheme? (Or have they?)
They have, but it looks like an imperfect match:

http://archive.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/ho11ktankers/0913/20002647_TQ.jpg

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

nyc3001 .

I think the Atlas car is different because it has a six-course tank instead of a seven-course tank as in the photo of DUPX 3257. Also, the tank looks longer than the Atlas tank. The Atlas car also has a welded underframe as opposed to a riveted underframe.

3257 reminds me a little bit of the OMI 3028 ACF tank though the Overland model's prototype is about 10 years older and has no dome platform.

-Phil

Tim O'Connor

The two tank cars are very close in size - 11053 gallons vs 11313 gallons. I don't know why
one has 6 segments and the other 7, but the difference in gallons may not be related to the length
of the tanks. A very small difference in diameter could do that.