DuPont tank car DUPX 254 - October 1944

Tim O'Connor

The two tank cars are very close in size - 11053 gallons vs 11313 gallons. I don't know why
one has 6 segments and the other 7, but the difference in gallons may not be related to the length
of the tanks. A very small difference in diameter could do that.

On 2/5/2021 11:10 PM, nyc3001 . wrote:
I think the Atlas car is different because it has a six-course tank instead of a seven-course tank as in the photo of DUPX 3257. Also, the tank looks longer than the Atlas tank. The Atlas car also has a welded underframe as opposed to a riveted underframe.

3257 reminds me a little bit of the OMI 3028 ACF tank though the Overland model's prototype is about 10 years older and has no dome platform.

-Phil

Sterling, Massachusetts

nyc3001 .

I think the Atlas car is different because it has a six-course tank instead of a seven-course tank as in the photo of DUPX 3257. Also, the tank looks longer than the Atlas tank. The Atlas car also has a welded underframe as opposed to a riveted underframe.

3257 reminds me a little bit of the OMI 3028 ACF tank though the Overland model's prototype is about 10 years older and has no dome platform.

-Phil

Tim O'Connor

Nearly the same size and type of cars (#254 and #3257) - SHPX had a huge number
(many hundreds) of these cars

Note the built date on the prototype (#3257) is 1948. The Atlas car seems like a
reasonable facsimile of the real one, and the model number is valid and evidently so
is the paint & lettering.

On 2/5/2021 6:05 PM, Dave Parker via groups.io wrote:
On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 02:40 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Why hasn't ATLAS done their car in this paint scheme? (Or have they?)
They have, but it looks like an imperfect match:

http://archive.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/ho11ktankers/0913/20002647_TQ.jpg

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dave Parker

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 02:40 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Why hasn't ATLAS done their car in this paint scheme? (Or have they?)
They have, but it looks like an imperfect match:

http://archive.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/ho11ktankers/0913/20002647_TQ.jpg

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Tim O'Connor

This was part of a LARGE group of cars numbered DUPX 102 to 274 - there were still 60 cars in
this series in 1970! Why hasn't ATLAS done their car in this paint scheme? (Or have they?)

On 2/1/2021 12:34 PM, Dave Parker via groups.io wrote:
My understanding is that these ICC 105A cars dedicated to anhydrous ammonia use were all ~11,000 gallons. This one was 11,313.

Photo is too fuzzy to be certain, but it looks like an AC&F build to me.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Richard Townsend

11,313 gallons.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

It looks like a GA-built car. What was the gallonage?

-Phil

Dave Parker

My understanding is that these ICC 105A cars dedicated to anhydrous ammonia use were all ~11,000 gallons. This one was 11,313.

Photo is too fuzzy to be certain, but it looks like an AC&F build to me.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

nyc3001 .

It looks like a GA-built car. What was the gallonage?

-Phil

Friends,

That nifty slope-backed van in the upper right is lettered for Wilson's. Addition to a Wilson's meat packing plant scene.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 7:48 AM Brian Rochon <berochon@...> wrote:

Came across this image from the October 1944 issue of the Commercial Car Journal on the HathiTrust website.

Brian Rochon

Silver Spring, MD

Attachments:

Brian Rochon