From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lester Breuer
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 1:10 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] IM Steel NP Reefer Production Year

Working on a NP Steel Reefer 91325 produced by InterMountain exclusively for the Armarillo RR Museum.   I am wondering if anyone has the year in their notes these were available for purchase?  I contacted the museum and they guessed 20 years or so ago.  Hoping to get a year?
Thanks in advance for your time and effort to respond.
Lester Breuer

Jerry Michels

Lester, the best shot I can take is 1998 or 1999.  We brought out the NP cars at the same time we brought out the PFE reefers.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

Lester Breuer

Thank You Jerry and Matt.  Jerry another question. Were the cars available with more than one number?
Lester Breuer

Jerry Michels

Lester, you have the info so this is kind of a repeat. Yes we always work with the manufacturer to get multiple numbers.  Usually it is six, but has gone as high as 12.  One reason we do little to no Athearn is that they will only do one number on 600 cars.  We can't handle thousands of cars.  We did a run of Athearn airslide covered hoppers, but got them without numbers and had decals made so the buyer could appuy their own.  They sold slowly.  Way back we contracted with Kadee to do their PS-2 covered hopper for the SP with red lettering.  At that time, Kadee only allowed two numbers per run.  Shortly afterwards they did a run of the same cars for an historical society (who, I can't remember) with I think four or six numbers.  I can't confirm, but we may have been their fits non-dealer customer.  I remember some conversations kind of pointed that way.  It has been a fun  experience, and Lester got me off the dime to do our custom car history.  It still needs some updating.  Most models are sold out. What's left are on our website.

Jerry Michels

Paul Krueger

The Amarillo RR Museum website was updated on August 7, 2000 and promotes the NP 1949 reefer as their newest car.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001018121110/http://amarillorailmuseum.com/

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Jerry Michels

At the beginning, we did not have a website.  Our sales were primarily advertising in magazines. I know the NP reefers were available in 1998 as kits and 1999 as assembled.  Keep in mind that my information is when we got the cars not a specific date they went on sale.  Thanks Paul for your information!  Jerry Michels