1954 Great Northern Perishable Interchange Traffic - Eastern Lines

Richard Wilkens

This past weekend the Pacific Northwest Railroad Archive (PNRA) at Burien, WA processed a donation of a study made by the Great Northern. This study covered perishable carload traffic in 1954 for cars either forwarded to or received from railroads on the eastern lines of the GN from Minot, ND eastward. The study reviewed the costs of these interchanges which in some cases the GN thought should have been partially paid for by the connecting railroads. In the study are forms showing the specific cars, commodities, origins, destinations, costs for icing, heaters, inspections, and more. The heaviest interchange traffic occurred at Minneapolis.

In 1954 not all connecting stations had perishable cars connecting with other railroads and the list below lists the stations where interchanges took place during the year. I have posted a pdf file of a letter that was attached to the study and also scans of the cars interchanged from the GN to the Soo Line and cars received from the Soo Line to the GN. If you are interested in specific stations noted below we can provide scans.

Thanks,

Richard Wilkens

GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY

ANALYSIS OF PERISHABLE CARLOADS RECEIVED IN INTERCHANGE FROM CONNECTING LINES AT ALL JUNCTION POINTS ON EASTERN DISTRICT FOR DELIVERY TO GREAT NORTHERN INDUSTRIES DURING THE CALENDAR YEAR 1954

ANALYSIS OF PERISHABLE CARLOADS DELIVERED IN INTERCHANGE TO CONNECTING LINES AT THE SAME POINTS DURING THE SAME PERIOD FOR INDUSTRIES LOCATED ON THEIR TRACKS

The following are the locations where perishable cars were either delivered to other railroads, received from other railroads or both for GN stations from Minot, ND eastward:

Aberdeen, SD – GN to Milwaukee Road

Bemidji, MN – GN to NP

Duluth, MN – GN to CStPM&O

Devils Lake, ND – Soo Line to GN

Fargo, ND – NP to GN

Fargo, ND – GN to NP

Fargo, ND – GN to Milwaukee Road

Fergus Falls, MN – NP to GN

Grafton, ND – GN to NP

Grand Forks, ND – NP to GN

Huron, SD – GN to C&NW

Marshall, MN – C&NW to GN

Marshall, MN – GN to C&NW

Moorhead, MN – NP to GN

Minneapolis, MN – NP to GN

Minneapolis, MN – CRI&P to GN

Minneapolis, MN – GN to CRI&P

Minneapolis, MN – Milwaukee Road to GN

Minneapolis, MN – GN to Milwaukee Road

Minneapolis, MN – CStPM&O to GN

Minneapolis, MN – GN to CStPM&O

Minneapolis, MN – Soo Line to GN

Minneapolis, MN – GN to Soo Line

Minneapolis, MN – M&StL to GN

Minneapolis, MN – GN to M&StL

Minneapolis, MN – CGW to GN

Minneapolis, MN – GN to CGW

Minneapolis, MN – MN&S to GN

Minneapolis, MN – GN to MN&S

Minneapolis, MN – Minnesota Western to GN

Minot, ND – Soo Line to GN

Minot, ND – GN to Soo Line

Pipestone, MN – GN to CRI&P

St. Cloud, MN – NP to GN

St. Paul, MN – NP to GN

St. Paul, MN – GN to NP

St. Paul, MN – CRI&P to GN

St. Paul, MN – GN to CRI&P

St. Paul, MN – Milwaukee Road to GN

St. Paul, MN – GN to Milwaukee Road

St. Paul, MN – CStPM&O to GN

St. Paul, MN – GN to CStPM&O

St. Paul, MN – GN to Soo Line

St. Paul, MN – M&StL to GN

Sioux Falls, SD – Milwaukee Road to GN

Sioux Falls, SD – GN to Milwaukee Road

Sioux Falls, SD – Illinois Central to GN

Sioux Falls, SD – CRI&P to GN

Sioux Falls, SD – GN to CRI&P

Sioux Falls, SD – CStPM&O to GN

Sioux Falls, SD – GN to CStPM&O

Sioux City, IA – Milwaukee Road to GN

Sioux City, IA – CStPM&O to GN

Sioux City, IA – C&NW to GN

Sioux City, IA – Illinois Central to GN

Thief River Falls, MN – Soo Line to GN

Thief River Falls, MN – GN to Soo Line

Wadena, MN – GN to NP

Wahpeton, ND – NP to GN

Watertown, SD – GN to C&NW

Dennis Storzek

Richard,

Can we assume that "RD" in the three character initial column is short for SFRD?

Dennis Storzek

Richard Wilkens

I had a request for the M&StL interchanges and here they are.

Richard Wilkens

Richard Wilkens

Had a request for St. Cloud, MN, here they are.

Richard Wilkens

Douglas Harding

Thank you Richard.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

I had a request for the M&StL interchanges and here they are.

Richard Wilkens

Richard Remiarz

Thanks Richard.

Rich Remiarz

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Had a request for St. Cloud, MN, here they are.

Richard Wilkens

Steve SANDIFER

Conductors on the ATSF usually use “A” for ATSF and “RD” for SFRD.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Can we assume that "RD" in the three character initial column is short for SFRD?

Dennis Storzek

charles slater

Steve out west everyone I knew of used AT for Santa Fe on switch lists and most paperwork.
Charlie Slater

Sent from Outlook

Conductors on the ATSF usually use “A” for ATSF and “RD” for SFRD.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Can we assume that "RD" in the three character initial column is short for SFRD?

Dennis Storzek

Steve SANDIFER

Most of the books I have are from Kansas.  Interesting

J. Stephen Sandifer

Steve out west everyone I knew of used AT for Santa Fe on switch lists and most paperwork.

Charlie Slater

Sent from Outlook

Conductors on the ATSF usually use “A” for ATSF and “RD” for SFRD.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Can we assume that "RD" in the three character initial column is short for SFRD?

Dennis Storzek

Richard Townsend

Well, there's a difference between ATSF and SFRD. That could explain the differing abbreviations.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR