OMI 3-compartment insulated tank is too big?

Tony Thompson

Dennis Storzek wrote:

Some of the early UTLX three compartment cars were built with three separate tanks, lined up like little sausages on the frame. The later cars were the same except the tank shell was made continuous, enclosing all the heads.

Yes, indeed. Below is an AC&F photo, given to me by Cyril Durrenberger. This is the mental image that should be in your mind when you look at a multi-compartment tank car.

Tony Thompson

Steve and Barb Hile

This photo appeared in my UTLX book on page 85 (I hear that Ted is getting some additional copies, but I don’t know when.)

Here is what I can tell you.  Although the car was built by ACF (or is it AC&F?  :>)) it was built to UTLX’s design with the same underframe as other contemporary X-3 cars.  It was part of ACF lot 1523 and the cars were originally numbered 200 – 549.  They were later renumbered to 3625 – 3974.  Car number 3882 is in the Transportation museum at St. Louis and was recently repainted.  Ed Hawkins shared this photo with me from last fall.

Drawings from ACF for this lot are available from the library at the MOT.  The General Arrangement drawing is numbered 51457500.  The curator there is Teresa Militelo and her email is

tma.teresa2@...

I hope that this is helpful,

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 8:17 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] OMI 3-compartment insulated tank is too big?

Steve, on the UTLX 228 in the photo I have a question. I know little about tank cars but wold like to build that one. Do you have a photo you would share. (I’ll check withBob’s photos also)Do you have dimensions for the car? (Or tell me where to look)

And do you know what underframe this car uses? I’m guessing a type 27

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks in advance 

Fenton 

On Feb 4, 2021, at 9:10 PM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

Yes, there were two heads creating the air gap.  Look closely at the tank and you will see the double rows of rivets marking the location of the interior heads.

<image001.png>

Of course, this is not possible if the car has an external jacket.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of greg snook
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 7:50 PM

Bruce,

With the domed heads, would there be one on each compartment, creating an air void between the compartments?  I have always assumed, without any reason, that there was one head in the tank, curved in one direction or the other, but that doesn't seem like it would create the volume loss that you describe.

Thanks

Greg

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 06:00 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Yes, two heads, back to back, with an air space. You can see this in the rivet pattern on the outside of the car where there is a circumferential row of rivets where each head attaches.
Some of the early UTLX three compartment cars were built with three separate tanks, lined up like little sausages on the frame. The later cars were the same except the tank shell was made continuous, enclosing all the heads.

Dennis Storzek

O Fenton Wells

Steve, on the UTLX 228 in the photo I have a question. I know little about tank cars but wold like to build that one. Do you have a photo you would share. (I’ll check withBob’s photos also)Do you have dimensions for the car? (Or tell me where to look)
And do you know what underframe this car uses? I’m guessing a type 27
Any help is appreciated. 
Thanks in advance 
Fenton 

On Feb 4, 2021, at 9:10 PM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

Yes, there were two heads creating the air gap.  Look closely at the tank and you will see the double rows of rivets marking the location of the interior heads.

<image001.png>

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of greg snook

Bruce,

With the domed heads, would there be one on each compartment, creating an air void between the compartments?  I have always assumed, without any reason, that there was one head in the tank, curved in one direction or the other, but that doesn't seem like it would create the volume loss that you describe.

Thanks

Greg

Steve and Barb Hile

Steve Hile

Bruce,

Thanks

Greg

Bruce Smith

Greg,

Yes, two heads, back to back, with an air space. You can see this in the rivet pattern on the outside of the car where there is a circumferential row of rivets where each head attaches.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of greg snook <gregsnook@...>
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Bruce,
Thanks
Greg

greg snook

Bruce,
Thanks
Greg

Charlie Vlk

Fenton-

Yes, but I have no way to shrink them about 55 percent to N Scale!!!

Charlie

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 6:53 PM

Charlie Southern Car co makes great 3 dome and 2 dome tank car kits.

Fenton

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:13 PM Charlie Vlk <cvlk@...> wrote:

All-

Isn’t a three compartment tank smaller gallonage due to the extra tank bulkheads separating the compartments? That would make the 2K difference reasonable.
Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of nyc3001 .
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 3:02 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] OMI 3-compartment insulated tank is too big?

Hi guys,

I was comparing my model of the OMI 8k 3-compartment insulated wine tank car (3271) to the OMI GATX 10k insulated car (3229). The tanks look like they're the same diameter and length even though there's supposed to be a 2k gal. difference between them. Is the 3-compartment car's tank larger than the prototype?

Thanks,
Phil

--

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

O Fenton Wells

I wasn't sure but hopefully they will be back.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 1:08 AM nyc3001 . <nyc3001@...> wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. 

Fenton, I saw that the tank car kits on the SC&F site are all apparently unavailable. It seems like this is the only source of STC tank models.

-Phil

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

nyc3001 .

Thanks for the info guys. 

Fenton, I saw that the tank car kits on the SC&F site are all apparently unavailable. It seems like this is the only source of STC tank models.

-Phil

O Fenton Wells

Charlie Southern Car co makes great 3 dome and 2 dome tank car kits.
Fenton

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:13 PM Charlie Vlk <cvlk@...> wrote:

All-

Isn’t a three compartment tank smaller gallonage due to the extra tank bulkheads separating the compartments? That would make the 2K difference reasonable.
Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of nyc3001 .

Hi guys,

I was comparing my model of the OMI 8k 3-compartment insulated wine tank car (3271) to the OMI GATX 10k insulated car (3229). The tanks look like they're the same diameter and length even though there's supposed to be a 2k gal. difference between them. Is the 3-compartment car's tank larger than the prototype?

Thanks,
Phil

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Charlie Vlk

All-

Charlie Vlk

Hi guys,

Thanks,
Phil

Bruce Smith

Phil,

Multicompartment tank cars have their compartments separated by domed “heads” within the tank. This represents a substantial volume that is not used for liquid storage, so your observation is not a surprise and seems accurate.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Feb 3, 2021, at 3:02 PM, nyc3001 . <nyc3001@...> wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks,
Phil

nyc3001 .

Hi guys,

Thanks,
Phil