Rio Grande decals - assistance please

Schuyler Larrabee

I need some help finding the appropriate decals for a car I’m doing for a friend.  I am not a D&RGW modeler.

I would appreciate assistance in finding the best decals for the job.

Thanks

Schuyler Larrabee

schuyler (DOT) larrabee (AT) Verizon (DOT) net

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

San Juan Decals (http://sanjuandecals.com/) might have what you want.

Jack Burgess

I need some help finding the appropriate decals for a car I’m doing for a friend.  I am not a D&RGW modeler.

I would appreciate assistance in finding the best decals for the job.

Thanks

Schuyler Larrabee

schuyler (DOT) larrabee (AT) Verizon (DOT) net

Benjamin Hom

Schuyler Larrabee asked:
"I need some help finding the appropriate decals for a car I’m doing for a friend.  I am not a D&RGW modeler.
 I would appreciate assistance in finding the best decals for the job."

You're casting a pretty wide net.  What specifically are you trying to letter?

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

Of course I am if you look at it that way.  What I was looking for and have received is a couple or useful responses from people with some direct knowledge of D&RGW equipment who contacted me off list, which is why I gave my email address in the first email.

Since you seem to really want to know. I am looking to more-or-less accurately decal some troop sleepers in work train service.  The decal sheet my friend gave me, Microscale 87-73 “D&RGW Narrow Gauge Freight Cars,” does not include much black lettering and I am not convinced the “Rio Grande” speed lettering is the correct size.  I suspect there are better choices.  I want to letter it as accurately as I can, though the owner is very much satisfied with a “three-foot rule” result.  It’s >>ME<< being picky, not the owner.

Schuyler

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
"Since you seem to really want to know. I am looking to more-or-less accurately decal some troop sleepers in work train service.  The decal sheet my friend gave me, Microscale 87-73 “D&RGW Narrow Gauge Freight Cars,” does not include much black lettering and I am not convinced the “Rio Grande” speed lettering is the correct size.  I suspect there are better choices.  I want to letter it as accurately as I can, though the owner is very much satisfied with a “three-foot rule” result.  It’s >>ME<< being picky, not the owner."

You mean something like this?

Agree with you regarding Microscale 87-73 - along with the limited black lettering, the stencil breaks don't conform with the car in the photo.

Champ HN-123 might scratch your itch.  It's in black, and features four sizes of the speed lettering.  Here's an active listing:

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

Well, thanks, Ben, I appreciate that help.  The linked photo is exactly the car in question.  I bought two of the Champ sets (there are two cars to do) and I expect that will get me pretty close to accurately decaled cars.

Schuyler

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler

Champ HN-123 has black lettering including the "X" for mofw equipment.

Send me your address and I'll mail you the set.

:-)

On 2/4/2021 12:43 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

I just bought two of the sets Ben Hom referred me to on eBay, but if that doesn’t do it all, I’ll be back to you.  Thanks.