GATC reweight station symbols

Steve and Barb Hile

I have been looking at a lot of Swift reefer pictures recently, partially for reweight dates and locations.  I have seen a number of cars with

EC

which makes good sense as East Chicago, Inidana.  A main plant location

But I also see

Multiple times in the same set of stencils

Can anyone point to locations to match these reweigh locations, probably remote shop sites for GATC.  I note that in the ORER’s it lists East Chicago, Union Stock Yards (Chicago) and Kansas City as home points for refrigerator cars.

Thanks a bunch.

Steve Hile

Tony Thompson

Steve Hile wrote:

I have been looking at a lot of Swift reefer pictures recently, partially for reweight dates and locations. . .
But I also see

  GATC had a repair plant at Colton, California, likely the "C". I have seen photos of GA tank cars with either C or COLN on them.

Tony Thompson

Richard Townsend

I'll make some nominations. Not the least bit authoritative, but based on where GATC had some type of facilities, so somewhat SWAGish.

L - Lawrenceville, IL
J - Jacksonville, FL
P - Portland, OR

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I have been looking at a lot of Swift reefer pictures recently, partially for reweight dates and locations.  I have seen a number of cars with

EC

which makes good sense as East Chicago, Inidana.  A main plant location

But I also see

Multiple times in the same set of stencils

Can anyone point to locations to match these reweigh locations, probably remote shop sites for GATC.  I note that in the ORER’s it lists East Chicago, Union Stock Yards (Chicago) and Kansas City as home points for refrigerator cars.

Thanks a bunch.

Steve Hile

Tim O'Connor

EC appears on many GATX tank cars. SHN (Sharon) is another.

On 2/8/2021 5:06 PM, Richard Townsend via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

Thanks, with Tony’s C for Colton, we have, at least, a reasonable idea for those other letters.

Steve