Soo Line Boxcars

william darnaby

RPCyc 35 which is the tell all about ’37 boxcars motivated me to sort though my stash of IMWX and RC kits.  I found two of the offerings by Des Plaines Hobbies purchased years ago which are mostly correct as is, such as the square corner ends, except for the roof which, according to the RPCyc, should be the Pullman flat-panel riveted variety.  Fortunately, our colleague Chad Boas has these roof available to fit these cars.  Attached are my efforts with these roofs.  I also installed the correct Universal hand brake details and used Kadee bracket grabs to complete the kit upgrades.

Bill Darnaby

O Fenton Wells

Nice models Bill great paint and finishing
fenton

Paul Doggett

Bill

Two very nice models.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 10 Feb 2021, at 23:07, william darnaby <wdarnaby@...> wrote:

RPCyc 35 which is the tell all about ’37 boxcars motivated me to sort though my stash of IMWX and RC kits.  I found two of the offerings by Des Plaines Hobbies purchased years ago which are mostly correct as is, such as the square corner ends, except for the roof which, according to the RPCyc, should be the Pullman flat-panel riveted variety.  Fortunately, our colleague Chad Boas has these roof available to fit these cars.  Attached are my efforts with these roofs.  I also installed the correct Universal hand brake details and used Kadee bracket grabs to complete the kit upgrades.

Bill Darnaby

Attachments:

James Brewer

Good looking models Bill, especially the weathering.

Jim Brewer

Clark Propst

Great looking models Bill!

I have a Soo Line question: I’ve accumulated a IM 10’6” box car, Chad Boas square corner ends and Klasing hand brakes. I was thinking of doing a Soo car. Would like to know if there was black on the cars (ends-roofs)? And a good source for decals.

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

william darnaby

Thanks!  But I didn’t do much except add the correct details and weather them.  Des Plaines did the paint jobs on the correct square corner bodies.  The large SOO paint had a reweigh date of 5-55 so I left that alone but I had to do reweigh patches on the original scheme to bring it in line with my railroad date and gave the car a heavier weathering.

Bill