Soo Line Boxcars

william darnaby

RPCyc 35 which is the tell all about ’37 boxcars motivated me to sort though my stash of IMWX and RC kits.  I found two of the offerings by Des Plaines Hobbies purchased years ago which are mostly correct as is, such as the square corner ends, except for the roof which, according to the RPCyc, should be the Pullman flat-panel riveted variety.  Fortunately, our colleague Chad Boas has these roof available to fit these cars.  Attached are my efforts with these roofs.  I also installed the correct Universal hand brake details and used Kadee bracket grabs to complete the kit upgrades.

Bill Darnaby

O Fenton Wells

Nice models Bill great paint and finishing 
fenton

Paul Doggett

Bill 

Two very nice models.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

On 10 Feb 2021, at 23:07, william darnaby <wdarnaby@...> wrote:

RPCyc 35 which is the tell all about ’37 boxcars motivated me to sort though my stash of IMWX and RC kits.  I found two of the offerings by Des Plaines Hobbies purchased years ago which are mostly correct as is, such as the square corner ends, except for the roof which, according to the RPCyc, should be the Pullman flat-panel riveted variety.  Fortunately, our colleague Chad Boas has these roof available to fit these cars.  Attached are my efforts with these roofs.  I also installed the correct Universal hand brake details and used Kadee bracket grabs to complete the kit upgrades.

Bill Darnaby

Attachments:

James Brewer

Good looking models Bill, especially the weathering.

Jim Brewer

Clark Propst

Great looking models Bill!

I have a Soo Line question: I’ve accumulated a IM 10’6” box car, Chad Boas square corner ends and Klasing hand brakes. I was thinking of doing a Soo car. Would like to know if there was black on the cars (ends-roofs)? And a good source for decals.

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

william darnaby

Thanks!  But I didn’t do much except add the correct details and weather them.  Des Plaines did the paint jobs on the correct square corner bodies.  The large SOO paint had a reweigh date of 5-55 so I left that alone but I had to do reweigh patches on the original scheme to bring it in line with my railroad date and gave the car a heavier weathering.

Bill

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Doggett via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2021 4:26 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Soo Line Boxcars

Bill 

Two very nice models.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

_._,_._,_

william darnaby

Clark, James and others, I will have to defer to the Soo experts out there for any reliable paint information.  I only trusted and used what Des Plaines Hobbies provided on the models.

Bill Darnaby

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clark Propst
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2021 9:00 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

I have a Soo Line question: I’ve accumulated a IM 10’6” box car, Chad Boas square corner ends and Klasing hand brakes. I was thinking of doing a Soo car. Would like to know if there was black on the cars (ends-roofs)? And a good source for decals.

Clark Propst

Tim O'Connor

Clark

When the Soo Line Historical Society decorated the Athearn blue box kit to represent those
box cars (correct, except for 7-rung instead of 8-rung ladders) they painted the ends BLACK
but the roof is box car red like the sides.

What decals for you looking for - original or repaints? CDS made a 1955 repaint set (#75)

On 2/11/2021 10:00 AM, Clark Propst wrote:

Clark Propst

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Paul Krueger

The write up on these cars in the Soo Line historical society freight car book says the ends and herald backgrounds on all steel P-S boxcars from 1936-1942 were painted black as built.

Paul
Seattle, WA

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst asked:
"I have a Soo Line question: I’ve accumulated a IM 10’6” box car, Chad Boas square corner ends and Klasing hand brakes. I was thinking of doing a Soo car. Would like to know if there was black on the cars (ends-roofs)? And a good source for decals."

What's your target era?  Tilted square herald or billboard "SOO LINE"?

Ben Hom

Clark Propst

What's your target era?  Tilted square herald or billboard "SOO LINE"?

Ben Hom

My mistake – The dollar sign logo.

Clark

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst asked re: decals:
"The dollar sign logo."

K4 Decals has this set that looks like it will work.  The 40 ft boxcar data appears to match that of the Modified 1937 AAR boxcar, though I recommend double checking against a photo to make sure.

These decals are available in multiple scales.

Ben Hom

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Bill

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:30 AM william darnaby <wdarnaby@...> wrote:

Thanks!  But I didn’t do much except add the correct details and weather them.  Des Plaines did the paint jobs on the correct square corner bodies.  The large SOO paint had a reweigh date of 5-55 so I left that alone but I had to do reweigh patches on the original scheme to bring it in line with my railroad date and gave the car a heavier weathering.

Bill

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Doggett via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2021 4:26 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Bill 

Two very nice models.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:10 PM, Clark Propst wrote:
As someone had already said, ALL the AAR cars built by P-S for the Soo before and during WWII came with FCR roofs, black ends, and black backgrounds in the heralds. The Soo eliminated the black background from the heralds on the cars they built for themselves starting in 1948-49, but those cars had IDE ends and diagonal panel roofs. It's debatable if the lack of backgrounds in the herald would have carried over to re-paints, but the P-S cars were new enough that it seems none were re-painted. A few years later (1953) both the black ends and $ heralds were gone.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

FYI - the DSS&A cars continued to have black ends AND roofs. Jerry Glow made a variety of
decals for the DSS&A cars including their interesting slogans. These cars all ended up as part of the
Soo Line.

On 2/11/2021 4:57 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:10 PM, Clark Propst wrote:
As someone had already said, ALL the AAR cars built by P-S for the Soo before and during WWII came with FCR roofs, black ends, and black backgrounds in the heralds. The Soo eliminated the black background from the heralds on the cars they built for themselves starting in 1948-49, but those cars had IDE ends and diagonal panel roofs. It's debatable if the lack of backgrounds in the herald would have carried over to re-paints, but the P-S cars were new enough that it seems none were re-painted. A few years later (1953) both the black ends and $ heralds were gone.

Dennis Storzek

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Michael Gross

Nice work, Bill, and hope to see you again—one fine day—at a face-to-face meet.

Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

P.S.  Reading your post made me miss Ron Sebastian at Des Plaines, all the more.  :0(

william darnaby

I agree, Michael.  Still hoping for Collinsville.  I would have gone to Cocoa Beach if they had it.  At least I’m getting a lot of basement time and having sessions with the boys.

Bill

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Gross
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 10:21 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Nice work, Bill, and hope to see you again—one fine day—at a face-to-face meet.

Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

P.S.  Reading your post made me miss Ron Sebastian at Des Plaines, all the more.  :0(