USRA Rebuilt Twin Hoppers with welded bodies

Bob Weston

What railroads used these rebuilt hoppers?

Ed Hawkins

On Feb 13, 2021, at 11:46 AM, Bob Weston via groups.io <oandle=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

What railroads used these rebuilt hoppers?<HC_H 960-1 _1_.jpg>
Bob,
To answer your question, it’s hard to say without doing an ORER search for HM’s having 1995 cu. ft. (115 more than the standard 1880 cu. ft. USRA design). The photo shows what may have been an experimental repair using welding practices that went to a railroad called Cheswich & Harmor per the following three photo links. This particular car is C&HRR 60 with repairs on 2-5-36 by Greenville Steel Car Co.

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-NpWTVw7/buy

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-PmnC5Vw/buy

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-DqWm3xD/buy

From 1933 to 1944, Greenville performed the work in 17 separate repair orders totaling 69 hopper cars of USRA vintage for the Cheswick & Harmor RR. I’m unfamiliar with this railroad, which does not appear in the 1930s-1940s ORER and thus apparent that the cars were not interchanged. Without having any additional photos of repaired cars other than C&HRR 60, it’s an unknown to what extent that Greenville’s repairs followed the same welding methods. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

David

D&H 4651 is a sample car of very similar construction, but I do not know of any other examples.
https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-D/i-TjBGHWW/A
https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-D/i-3xjBXrd/A

Cheswick & Harmar (note the spelling) was a mine-to-power plant railroad about 15 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. It was a common carrier, although its ownership by the Duquesne Light Co. may be why it's not in the ORER.

David Thompson

Ed,

The C&H car does not carry full dimensional data, or does it have enough to meet some minimum standard for interchange in the 1936 time frame? Despite having incomplete information, it is marked with two "return to" interchange points. Strange.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 4:14 PM Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2021, at 11:46 AM, Bob Weston via groups.io <oandle=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> What railroads used these rebuilt hoppers?<HC_H 960-1 _1_.jpg>

Bob,
To answer your question, it’s hard to say without doing an ORER search for HM’s having 1995 cu. ft. (115 more than the standard 1880 cu. ft. USRA design). The photo shows what may have been an experimental repair using welding practices that went to a railroad called Cheswich & Harmor per the following three photo links. This particular car is C&HRR 60 with repairs on 2-5-36 by Greenville Steel Car Co.

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-NpWTVw7/buy

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-PmnC5Vw/buy

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-DqWm3xD/buy

From 1933 to 1944, Greenville performed the work in 17 separate repair orders totaling 69 hopper cars of USRA vintage for the Cheswick & Harmor RR. I’m unfamiliar with this railroad, which does not appear in the 1930s-1940s ORER and thus apparent that the cars were not interchanged. Without having any additional photos of repaired cars other than C&HRR 60, it’s an unknown to what extent that Greenville’s repairs followed the same welding methods. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

James E Kubanick

The C&H is (was) a Pittsburgh area road. It is a short line that connected a power plant (Duquesne Light) near Cheswick with the Bessemer & Lake Erie at Harmerville. I don't know if it still exists, but its purpose was to haul coal between those two points. When I lived in Pittsburgh,I recall  the road was called the Harmerville & Cheswick. I never saw any cars lettered for the road, but, apparently, they did roster some  at one time. These would have been interchanged with the B&LE as there were no mines located on the line. Or, possibly, they were limited to some kind of in-plant service.

I haven't been up that way in years, so I don't know what is left.

Jim Kubanick,
Morgantown WV

On Saturday, February 13, 2021, 6:47:54 PM EST, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Ed,

The C&H car does not carry full dimensional data, or does it have enough to meet some minimum standard for interchange in the 1936 time frame? Despite having incomplete information, it is marked with two "return to" interchange points. Strange.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 4:14 PM Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2021, at 11:46 AM, Bob Weston via groups.io <oandle=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> What railroads used these rebuilt hoppers?<HC_H 960-1 _1_.jpg>

Bob,
To answer your question, it’s hard to say without doing an ORER search for HM’s having 1995 cu. ft. (115 more than the standard 1880 cu. ft. USRA design). The photo shows what may have been an experimental repair using welding practices that went to a railroad called Cheswich & Harmor per the following three photo links. This particular car is C&HRR 60 with repairs on 2-5-36 by Greenville Steel Car Co.

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-NpWTVw7/buy

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-PmnC5Vw/buy

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-DqWm3xD/buy

From 1933 to 1944, Greenville performed the work in 17 separate repair orders totaling 69 hopper cars of USRA vintage for the Cheswick & Harmor RR. I’m unfamiliar with this railroad, which does not appear in the 1930s-1940s ORER and thus apparent that the cars were not interchanged. Without having any additional photos of repaired cars other than C&HRR 60, it’s an unknown to what extent that Greenville’s repairs followed the same welding methods. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

leakinmywaders

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/15878835/cheswick-and-harmar-railroad/

Looks like there was a mine on the line. Interesting little road.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

akerboomk

I shouldn’t wander astray of the group’s stated purpose, but I will anyhow (sorry)

Just to the west of Cheswick is the B&LE bridge over the Allegheny river (the one next to the Penna Turnpike bridge) – maybe 100-200’ above river level.  The C&H connected to the B&LE just north of the bridge.

It ran (downhill) to a switchback, then more downhill to the powerplant and the PRR interchange (slightly above river level).  You can kinda follow the ROW on Google Maps.

There were still tracks the last I was there in the late 1980s. I would assume they’re gone now, but one never knows.

--
Ken Akerboom

David

There were still tracks the last I was there in the late 1980s. I would assume they’re gone now, but one never knows

This is the 21st century, so of course there's a Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzhfDNsOwFA

David Thompson

Bob Weston

Edited

Thanks to all who answered my question I found the Info on the C&H interesting. I'm curious as to how Greenville rebuilt these USRA hoppers. I'm wondering if they simply removed the side sheets from the interior of the cars and welded new ones to the outside of the side ribs.. Thanks!
Bob Weston