Topics

Mopac 45’ flat car

Paul Doggett

Hi Guys

I have a Chad Boaz Mopac 45’ 8000-8099 flat car has anyone got a photo of the hand brake end please.

Paul Doggett. England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

mopacfirst

Not a photo, but here is the MP diagram sheet for this car.  Basically, a pretty standard drop-shaft handbrake, which probably means the shaft was square.  I don't have a good end photo here of any of these classes of MP steel flatcars, which were built pre-war and pretty similar amongst themselves.  The 8000-8099 were built in 1938.

I wrote an article on similar groups of cars for the MPHS Eagle, and got some good photos of them.  Sorry to say, I'm in the process of moving so my Eagle collection has already moved while I'm here boxing up the layout.  I'll say the hand brake arrangement has nothing special about it, if that's any help.

Ron Merrick

Paul Doggett

Ron

Thank you that is very useful.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 14 Feb 2021, at 16:38, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

Not a photo, but here is the MP diagram sheet for this car.  Basically, a pretty standard drop-shaft handbrake, which probably means the shaft was square.  I don't have a good end photo here of any of these classes of MP steel flatcars, which were built pre-war and pretty similar amongst themselves.  The 8000-8099 were built in 1938.

I wrote an article on similar groups of cars for the MPHS Eagle, and got some good photos of them.  Sorry to say, I'm in the process of moving so my Eagle collection has already moved while I'm here boxing up the layout.  I'll say the hand brake arrangement has nothing special about it, if that's any help.

Ron Merrick
<MP 1900-51 FRT CAR DGMS 171.pdf>

Ed Hawkins

On Feb 14, 2021, at 9:56 AM, Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

I have a Chad Boaz Mopac 45’ 8000-8099 flat car has anyone got a photo of the hand brake end please.

Paul,
I have just one photo from the MP 8000-8099 series of 45’ flat cars (MP 8036 L-side), but it doesn’t provide a good view of the hand brake. All of MoPac’s flat cars built from 1936 to 1938 at their DeSoto, Mo. car shops, as well as two series built by the Bethlehem Steel Co. in 1942 all used the same hand brake - Universal Multi-Power Drop-Shaft (MP diagram denotes as drop staff).

MP 8600-8995, 41’-3”, built 1936
MP 9000-9199, 41’-3”, built 1937
MP 8000-8199, 45’, built 1938
MP 8100-8199, 50’, built 1942
StLB&M 8350-8399, 50’, built 1942

What I do have to offer is a decent view of the B end of MP 9014, taken ca. late-1956. The photo of the car was taken by the railroad at St. Louis to demonstrate one of MP’s ‘Truck-Rail Service” containers loaded on a flat car. It’s cropped to show the B end and scanned at 600 dpi. It’s noted the hand brake shaft & uncoupling rod have been somewhat deformed after roughly 20 years of use.

Hoping this provides the necessary information for your model.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Paul Doggett

Ed

That’s very useful thank very much

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 14 Feb 2021, at 17:19, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

[...]

<MP 9014 Universal Multi-Power Drop-Shaft hand brake.jpg>

Steve and Barb Hile

And there, in honor of Bill Welch, is a square shaft for the brake wheel!  RIP, Bill.

Steve Hile

[...]

jerryglow2

Ed provided me the drawing I sent to Chad to do the car. This is the end from that drawing

Paul Doggett

Jerry

Thank you for sharing.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 16 Feb 2021, at 15:41, jerryglow2 <jerryglow@...> wrote:

Ed provided me the drawing I sent to Chad to do the car. This is the end from that drawing

<dummyfile.0.part>

Tim O'Connor

Similar, using Tichy detail parts.

On 2/16/2021 10:40 AM, jerryglow2 wrote:
Ed provided me the drawing I sent to Chad to do the car. This is the end from that drawing

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Paul Doggett

Thanks Tim those are what I will be using.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 16 Feb 2021, at 16:11, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Similar, using Tichy detail parts.

On 2/16/2021 10:40 AM, jerryglow2 wrote:
Ed provided me the drawing I sent to Chad to do the car. This is the end from that drawing

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts
<model ATHEARN bash milw_63319 46ft_flat TimOC.JPG>

Kenneth Montero

Paul,

Ted Culotta did an article on kitbashing Red Caboose flat cars to create a model of the MP 8000 series flat car in Prototype Railroading Modeling, Vol. 5, pp.12-31.Some of his comments regarding details and prototype photos may be of some use.

Ken Montero

On 02/16/2021 11:23 AM Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

Thanks Tim those are what I will be using.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 16 Feb 2021, at 16:11, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Similar, using Tichy detail parts.

On 2/16/2021 10:40 AM, jerryglow2 wrote:
Ed provided me the drawing I sent to Chad to do the car. This is the end from that drawing

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts
<model ATHEARN bash milw_63319 46ft_flat TimOC.JPG>

Paul Doggett

Ken

Thank you I have that never thought of looking in there 🙄🙄🙄
Paul