Boxcar identification assistance

Brent Greer

In the accompanying link, at the far left of the photo there is a boxcar that caught my attention.

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=84144

I cannot really make out the lettering on the car, but the general shape of it makes me think it could read "Nickel Plate Road", and the unusual number of panels making up the car side make me think that that this could be an aluminum sheathed car.

I would appreciate the opinions of the experts here on our list.

Sincere thanks,
Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

David

It's a pre-war Pullman-Standard lightweight welded box car. NKP's were 20000-20199, built at Michigan City in 1-2/40.

David Thompson

Scott

Nickel plate painted thier cars white?  Anybody have a proto photo of one?

Scott McDonald

Brian Carlson

No. They didn’t. He’s asking about the car on the left.  It’s clearly NKP freight car color. You’re looking at the car on the right.

Brian J. Carlson

On Feb 14, 2021, at 5:43 PM, Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:

Nickel plate painted thier cars white?  Anybody have a proto photo of one?

Scott McDonald

Scott

Thanks Brian,  I misunderstood his question.  Any guesses on the white car?

Scott McDonald

Brian Carlson

I’m reading emails on my phone and it’s too washed out to tell. For me anyway.

Brian J. Carlson

On Feb 14, 2021, at 5:55 PM, Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:

Thanks Brian,  I misunderstood his question.  Any guesses on the white car?

Scott McDonald

Tim O'Connor

built in 1940 I think

On 2/14/2021 3:19 PM, Brent Greer wrote:
In the accompanying link, at the far left of the photo there is a boxcar that caught my attention.

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=84144

I cannot really make out the lettering on the car, but the general shape of it makes me think it could read "Nickel Plate Road", and the unusual number of panels making up the car side make me think that that this could be an aluminum sheathed car.

I would appreciate the opinions of the experts here on our list.

Sincere thanks,
Brent

Sterling, Massachusetts

Allan Smith

NKP series 20000-20199 Built P_S 1940 See Mainline Modeler Feb 1988 and RMJ Nov 1993

Al; Smith
Sonora CA

On Monday, February 15, 2021, 07:44:27 AM PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

built in 1940 I think

On 2/14/2021 3:19 PM, Brent Greer wrote:
In the accompanying link, at the far left of the photo there is a boxcar that caught my attention.

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=84144

I cannot really make out the lettering on the car, but the general shape of it makes me think it could read "Nickel Plate Road", and the unusual number of panels making up the car side make me think that that this could be an aluminum sheathed car.

I would appreciate the opinions of the experts here on our list.

Sincere thanks,
Brent

Sterling, Massachusetts

Allan Smith

Also see RPC Vol 31-32 Page 196-197

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Monday, February 15, 2021, 07:10:06 PM PST, Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:

[...]

O Fenton Wells

I'm going to comment here and I'm not speaking from actual knowledge of the white freight car but to me it looks like a standard 40 boxcar that was being loaded with cement or another white powdery substance.  And something went wrong at the loading facility.  Growing up in the south and going around rail yards and freight trains I saw many boxcars that had much white "powder" on the roof and sides.Never knew what it was and still don't but my guess is that is what the white boxcar is.  But in the 1950's and 1960's it was pretty common.  Saw it a lot on the early covered hoppers as well.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Clark Propst

I’m with Fenton. The car is covered with some like of material spill.

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Schuyler Larrabee

Seriously??  I beg to differ.  The white is too complete over the ENTIRE car.  I mean, I could believe that if the sides were seriously covered with dust or “product” of some kind, but the ends AND the roof are completely covered.  That’s PAINT, not “a material spill.”

OF course, the most interesting car in the yard is to the left of the locomotive, ERIE 77084 . . .

😊

Schuyler

I’m with Fenton. The car is covered with some like of material spill.

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

O Fenton Wells

Schuyler., so what do you think made it white?  I don’t think it was Floquil
😁