HD Truck Tweak?

Jeff Ford

Corey,

Nice work on those trucks.  I wonder how much additional work would be involved in tweaking them to replicate the trucks used under the helium cars. Attached is Jay Miller's handout that has views of the various trucks used in the helium fleet.  The biggest difference I can see is the size of the journal boxes.  The He cars rode on 6.5 x 12 journals and the boxes are visibly large.  A second difference for the early cars is the Andrews bracket as the journal boxes were demountable.

I'd be curious to know what your thoughts are having been down that road.

Thanks,
Jeff Ford
Sanger, TX

Corey Bonsall

Hi Jeff,

I had seen the helium cars before, but never really noticed the trucks were outside clasp.  I've actually got two different versions of the outside clasp trucks; the CBC / B&LE that have the "turned down" hanger ends, and what I'm calling the Vulcan clasp type that I use for my D&RGW 70 ton offset cars ( and Kennecott Utah Copper ore cars...)  I think the latter would be pretty close for at least one of the plain bearing classes in that handy PDF in the other thread.

Vs.

I haven't played much with adding a lot of finer detail to the trucks, as I'm at the limit of the printer resin in this HO scale size, and the resin isn't as strong or forgiving as acetal.  The journals on these truckframes are already somewhat large as I needed that size to keep enough material around the axle point cone, so they definitely come across as chunky.

Corey Bonsall

Jeff Ford

Corey,

That second truck looks more like it.  from the looks of it, an Andrews truck wouldn't be hard to replicate.  I, for one, find the detail adequate.

Here's a photo from March, 1943 showing the Andrews version in good detail.  For anyone interested, this is from the Library of Congress FSA/OWI collection.  It was taken by Jack Delano on a cross country trip where he rode Santa Fe freight trains and made photos of railroad subjects as he went.

-Jeff Ford
Sanger, TX

spsalso

Delano.  That guy was GOOD!