Another dry ice car

Tom Madden

November 1961 on the CNJ at Lake Junction, NJ. Matheson 8884, a fairly modern plug door dry ice car, follows Erie and LV covered hoppers behind Baldwins 72 and (I think) 74 northbound after picking up the Erie car from the DL&W (officially EL by then) interchange track.

Can't believe it's been over 60 years.....

Tom Madden

mel perry

out of curiousity  whose reporting marks?
thanks
;-)

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021, 11:04 AM Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
November 1961 on the CNJ at Lake Junction, NJ. Matheson 8884, a fairly modern plug door dry ice car, follows Erie and LV covered hoppers behind Baldwins 72 and (I think) 74 northbound after picking up the Erie car from the DL&W (officially EL by then) interchange track.

Can't believe it's been over 60 years.....

Tom Madden

Attachments:

Tom Madden

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 12:36 PM, mel perry wrote:
thanks
;-)
According to the on line list of railroad reporting marks, NX = Mathieson Dry Ice.

Tom Madden

T

Tony Thompson

Tom Madden wrote:

According to the on line list of railroad reporting marks, NX = Mathieson Dry Ice.

And NX, of course, is one of the reporting marks of National Car Co., an FGE subsidiary. They leased cars to lots of people, obviously including Mathieson.

Tony Thompson

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 11:36 AM, mel perry wrote:
thanks
I read it as NX 8884. NX was National Car Co., a subsidiary of Fruit Growers Express.

Dennis Storzek

Scott

There are more photos of other Mathieson Dry Ice cars in the Merchant Despatch reefer book from Signature Press.

Scott McDonald 

mel perry

tom:
MANY THANKS, out of curiosity, did mathieson merge or get bought out,
i ask because they had their own
reporting marks at one time "malx & mawx"?@, besides the leased "shpx",
thanks again
;-)
mel perry

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021, 12:19 PM Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 12:36 PM, mel perry wrote:
out of curiousity  whose s3dreporting marks?
thanks
;-)

Tom Madden

T

Tony Thompson

mel perry wrote:

They merged with Olin in 1954 to become Olin Mathieson.

Tony Thompson

mel perry

tony;
THANK YOU
;-)
mel perry

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021, 3:09 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
mel perry wrote:

They merged with Olin in 1954 to become Olin Mathieson.

Tony Thompson

Here’s some from my collection.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Scott

If you search Dry Ice on the NYCHS photo archive it will bring up several more images of Dry Ice cars.

Scott McDonald 

Schuyler Larrabee

Wotta Door! On CINX 5050.

Any clues on the colors of D.I.C.X. 190 ?  And is that a Mathieson car?  Unusual to have the reporting letters and the number on the same line between the lines above and below.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of BRIAN PAUL EHNI
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 11:41 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Another dry ice car

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Richard Townsend

These hinges might work for those doors: https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/doors1/p/3068-hinge/Default.aspx

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
From: Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...>
Sent: Mon, Feb 22, 2021 10:24 am

Any clues on the colors of D.I.C.X. 190 ?  And is that a Mathieson car?  Unusual to have the reporting letters and the number on the same line between the lines above and below.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

jerryglow2

I did decals for the late Stan Rydarowicz for a series of dry ice cars now part of Tichy's line. I can make variations for specific cars  jerryglow at comcast dot net

Schuyler Larrabee

The look pretty close!

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via groups.io
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 3:03 PM

These hinges might work for those doors: https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/doors1/p/3068-hinge/Default.aspx

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
From: Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...>
Sent: Mon, Feb 22, 2021 10:24 am

Schuyler

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

As to color, I would assume either white or silver. Probably white; see below. No, it’s not Mathieson, but a competitor.

Here are color photos of other DICX cars, and they’re white.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io" <schuyler.larrabee@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Monday, February 22, 2021 at 12:24 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Schuyler

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Chuck Cover

Here is a Westerfield Mathieson Dry Ice Reefer model.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Tom Madden

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 04:38 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:

As to color, I would assume either white or silver. Probably white; see below. No, it’s not Mathieson, but a competitor.

For the car I photographed in 1961, it really looks to be gray. With red ends. Here's a cropped portion of the photo I took just prior to the other one, while the Baldwins were picking up the Erie covered hopper from the interchange track.

Tom Madden

Or weathered silver?

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Tom Madden via groups.io" <pullmanboss@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Monday, February 22, 2021 at 6:04 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

For the car I photographed in 1961, it really looks to be gray. With red ends. Here's a cropped portion of the photo I took just prior to the other one, while the Baldwins were picking up the Erie covered hopper from the interchange track.

Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor

Tom

Here are two more with gray sides and red ends - we may need to compile a timeline of ownership! :-)

On 2/22/2021 7:04 PM, Tom Madden via groups.io wrote:

Tom Madden

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts