From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Scott
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2021 5:28 PM
To: Steam Era Freight Cars <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Monon 1937 AAR boxcar

Mont Switzer's 2017 Chicagoland RPM presentation motivated me to model a Monon boxcar.  O-scale CIL 9157 began as an Intermountain kit.  I scratchbuilt a new roof walk for it from styrene strips, and I replaced some of the kit's more fragile styrene parts with brass equivalents.  I painted the car with Polly Scale and MicroLux acrylics, and lettered it with Protocraft decals.

The Monon had 450 of these 1937 AAR boxcars, with road numbers 9000-9449.  Pullman-Standard built them in 1941 and 1942, and all rode on National B-1 trucks.  O-scale B-1s are hard to find so I "scratch-bashed" these from 1970s-vintage Atlas Bettendorf trucks.  The Atlas side-frames were molded from high-impact polystyrene so the conversion wasn't difficult.  The attached photos show how I did it.

Stay well,

Dick Scott

Mont Switzer

Dick,

Well done.

As a side note, cars 9001-9150 had ASF A-3’s.

CI&L 9157 had the National B-1 trucks which you so nicely crafted.

Are those trucks made from the slick engineering plastic, and if so how did you do so well attaching details?

Mont

Mont Switzer's 2017 Chicagoland RPM presentation motivated me to model a Monon boxcar.  O-scale CIL 9157 began as an Intermountain kit.  I scratchbuilt a new roof walk for it from styrene strips, and I replaced some of the kit's more fragile styrene parts with brass equivalents.  I painted the car with Polly Scale and MicroLux acrylics, and lettered it with Protocraft decals.

The Monon had 450 of these 1937 AAR boxcars, with road numbers 9000-9449.  Pullman-Standard built them in 1941 and 1942, and all rode on National B-1 trucks.  O-scale B-1s are hard to find so I "scratch-bashed" these from 1970s-vintage Atlas Bettendorf trucks.  The Atlas side-frames were molded from high-impact polystyrene so the conversion wasn't difficult.  The attached photos show how I did it.

Stay well,

Dick Scott

Attachments:

Tim O'Connor

That is some very impressive truck modeling !! Well done. :-)

I think I have an IMWX (HO scale) kit (not built) in this paint scheme.

Tim O'

On 2/27/2021 6:27 PM, Richard Scott wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

James Brewer

Very nice looking car Dick; weathering is great.  Clark Propst recently did one of these in HO scale; I obtained decals from Mont Switzer to do one as well and even discovered I had an undecorated square corner Red Caboose kit in my stockpile.

Jim Brewer

O Fenton Wells

Great looking car, well done
fenton