Soo Line 50' boxcar kit Resin Car Works

Richard Remiarz

I am in the process of building the Resin Car Works Soo Line 50’ boxcar kit.  Two different type of brake gear are provided, but I couldn’t find any information that shows which series of cars used which brake gear.  Does  anyone have this information?

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Eric Hansmann

Rich,

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the proper brake gear housing is the one in-line with the brake cylinder and air reservoir on the resin parts sheet. I've reviewed the instructions and prototype images a couple times and that seems to be the one to use. Instructions and prototype images are posted on the kit extras page.

On page three of the first instruction PDF is an image of the kit parts with the resin detail parts sheet in the upper right corner. I think the other brake gear housing is there for another possible kit that needs the same parts details. I'll check with Frank as soon as he's back from a family vacation.

Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy

On 02/28/2021 5:02 PM Richard Remiarz <rremiarz@...> wrote:

I am in the process of building the Resin Car Works Soo Line 50’ boxcar kit.  Two different type of brake gear are provided, but I couldn’t find any information that shows which series of cars used which brake gear.  Does  anyone have this information?

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Richard Remiarz

Eric,

Thanks for helping on my request for information on the brakes for the RCW Soo Line boxcar kit.  Ed Hawkins emailed me yesterday off-list regarding the brake gear on the Soo Line 50’ boxcars.  After several emails back and forth I have enough information to build an accurate car.  A photo of the completed end is attached.

The answer is that different series used different brake gear.  The two series built in 1940 used Klasing brakes.  The kit includes a Klasing brake wheel.  This is the brake wheel and brake gear that Resin Car Works is selling through Shapeways.  The brake gear is also included with the kit.  It is the brake gear just above the brake levers and underneath the coupler box.

The other two series of boxcars used Universal brake gear with a Universal M2049 brake wheel.  Currently an HO M2049 brake wheel is not available.  I decided to model a 1940 car so that I can use the excellent Klasing brake gear provided with the kit.

Once Frank gets back from vacation, I would be interested in knowing what brand of brake gear is represented by the brake gear included with the kit that is in-line with the brake cylinder.  I am still learning about the various manufacturers of brake gear, but an trying to add the correct brake gear to my models.  I’m sure I can use that casting on one of my other projects.  Too many kits rely on just the Tichy AB brake set which only comes with Ajax brake gear.  Kadee makes a variety of great brake wheels, but you guys are including different brake gear that makes the models even better.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

[...]

Hello Richard,

The gear that you are trying to identify is an Equipco 3750 gear.

This gear would NOT have been on an as built Soo Line that is the RCW kit as the earliest date of production for the 3750 is 10-1950

See my post #164782 where I copy information from Gene Green

Hope this helps,
Dan

Clark Propst

Nice build so far Rich. Who’s ladders are you using?

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Eric Hansmann

Sorry for a delayed response. I discussed this with Frank yesterday. There are extra parts on the resin detail sheet to cover a couple boxcar prototypes. Attached is an image of that sheet with an arrow pointing to the Klasing brake gear housing to install on the Soo boxcars. The other one is a Universal brake gear housing.

Eric Hansmann

RCW web guy

The gear that you are trying to identify is an Equipco 3750 gear.

This gear would NOT have been on an as built Soo Line that is the RCW kit as the earliest date of production for the 3750 is 10-1950

See my post #164782 where I copy information from Gene Green

Hope this helps,
Dan

Richard Remiarz

Clark,

The ladders came with the kit.  There are a number of etched brass parts in the kit including the ladders, running board end supports, and lateral running board supports.  The kit goes together very well.  The only parts I have added so far are PSC air hose brackets, Kadee 158 couplers, and Intermountain 0.088” wheelsets.  I will be able to prime this car and the other cars I am building here, but painting and decaling will have to wait until I get home.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Nice build so far Rich. Who’s ladders are you using?

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

william darnaby

This is my completed car in a train where it stopped after the last session ended.

Bill Darnaby

The ladders came with the kit.  There are a number of etched brass parts in the kit including the ladders, running board end supports, and lateral running board supports.  The kit goes together very well.  The only parts I have added so far are PSC air hose brackets, Kadee 158 couplers, and Intermountain 0.088” wheelsets.  I will be able to prime this car and the other cars I am building here, but painting and decaling will have to wait until I get home.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

_._,_._,_

O Fenton Wells

Nice build Bill
Fenton

On Mar 3, 2021, at 5:16 PM, william darnaby <wdarnaby@...> wrote:

This is my completed car in a train where it stopped after the last session ended.

Bill Darnaby

The ladders came with the kit.  There are a number of etched brass parts in the kit including the ladders, running board end supports, and lateral running board supports.  The kit goes together very well.  The only parts I have added so far are PSC air hose brackets, Kadee 158 couplers, and Intermountain 0.088” wheelsets.  I will be able to prime this car and the other cars I am building here, but painting and decaling will have to wait until I get home.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

<0303210001 copy.jpg>

Tim O'Connor

That's a sharp looking car, Bill. :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 3/3/2021 5:16 PM, william darnaby wrote:

This is my completed car in a train where it stopped after the last session ended.

Bill Darnaby

The ladders came with the kit.  There are a number of etched brass parts in the kit including the ladders, running board end supports, and lateral running board supports.  The kit goes together very well.  The only parts I have added so far are PSC air hose brackets, Kadee 158 couplers, and Intermountain 0.088” wheelsets.  I will be able to prime this car and the other cars I am building here, but painting and decaling will have to wait until I get home.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

_._,_._,_

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Richard Remiarz

Great job on the car Bill.  I really like the weathering and the contrast on the reweigh stencils.

Rich Remiarz

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

This is my completed car in a train where it stopped after the last session ended.

Bill Darnaby

The ladders came with the kit.  There are a number of etched brass parts in the kit including the ladders, running board end supports, and lateral running board supports.  The kit goes together very well.  The only parts I have added so far are PSC air hose brackets, Kadee 158 couplers, and Intermountain 0.088” wheelsets.  I will be able to prime this car and the other cars I am building here, but painting and decaling will have to wait until I get home.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Paul Doggett

Bill

That’s a great looking model I really like the weathering.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

[...]

Thanks guys, for the kind comments.  It is a neat kit and one of new favorite cars.

Bill Darnaby