Mis-routed Cars ... was Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Help Identifying Unusual Boxcar (MoPac coke service?)

Jim Betz

Elden,
  And why would you expect your operators to be any less human than
the guys on the 1-1 RRs.  *G*

  Your operators probably said "If Elden put it in the train it must need to
be delivered somewhere!" - because Elden NEVER makes a mistake.
  Or they might have 'gotten creative' and rolled a waybill in a carcard
"for you" so that it made "sense" to deliver it.

  Besides - those cars just balanced out the ones they pulled and brought
back to you when the waybill clearly indicated it should stay at right where
it was.  *VBG*
                                                                                      - Jim

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Jim;

Good observations!

I just thought some “entertainment” was in order:  bad order cars, hot boxes, “flat” wheels (bang bang bang), shifted loads, mis-routed cars, the fun never ends!

I wish I never made a mistake, but more than once, people definitely got creative in avoiding dropping off hot boxes “there is a car inspector on hand, and his assistant with the oil can and cotton”.  Ah ha.

Burning cars I never did adequately represent, but the plan per PRR employees was to figure out what was burning (smoke visible to the cabin), stop for conference, pull forward to grade crossing, call local FD, fail to put out fire, and so on.

EVERYONE wanted to get rid of the offal car, so that became an unexpected priority (surprise).  Re-routing on next block NB was “expedited”.  The poor car repairman that had to crawl under in August….

Elden Gatwood

  And why would you expect your operators to be any less human than
the guys on the 1-1 RRs.  *G*

  Your operators probably said "If Elden put it in the train it must need to
be delivered somewhere!" - because Elden NEVER makes a mistake.
  Or they might have 'gotten creative' and rolled a waybill in a carcard
"for you" so that it made "sense" to deliver it.

  Besides - those cars just balanced out the ones they pulled and brought
back to you when the waybill clearly indicated it should stay at right where
it was.  *VBG*
                                                                                      - Jim

Bill Keene

A while back I purchased a Deep Rock Tangent tank car by mistake. Yes. I make my share of them because it keeps life interesting. I thought about putting this critter up for sale. But then I got to thinking … yes … that happens ever full moon … that the Deep Rock car would make a really good “lost” car.

The plan is to place this orphan into the train without a waybill and see what happens.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Mar 8, 2021, at 11:09 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

[...]

Attaboy, Bill!  Keep them on their toes.

Elden Gatwood

  And why would you expect your operators to be any less human than
the guys on the 1-1 RRs.  *G*

  Your operators probably said "If Elden put it in the train it must need to
be delivered somewhere!" - because Elden NEVER makes a mistake.
  Or they might have 'gotten creative' and rolled a waybill in a carcard
"for you" so that it made "sense" to deliver it.

  Besides - those cars just balanced out the ones they pulled and brought
back to you when the waybill clearly indicated it should stay at right where
it was.  *VBG*
                                                                                      - Jim

Bill Keene

Proof that railroad modeling is FUN!

Cheers,
— Bill

On Mar 8, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Attaboy, Bill!  Keep them on their toes.

Elden Gatwood

  And why would you expect your operators to be any less human than
the guys on the 1-1 RRs.  *G*

  Your operators probably said "If Elden put it in the train it must need to
be delivered somewhere!" - because Elden NEVER makes a mistake.
  Or they might have 'gotten creative' and rolled a waybill in a carcard
"for you" so that it made "sense" to deliver it.

  Besides - those cars just balanced out the ones they pulled and brought
back to you when the waybill clearly indicated it should stay at right where
it was.  *VBG*
                                                                                      - Jim

Tony Thompson

I remember former SP employee Paul Koehler telling me that at Taylor Yard in LA there was a "99" track where you put cars with problems such as missing paperwork. He remembered a depressed-center flat with a huge crate on it, that was in that category. The yard foreman said, "Put in on the 99 track, but it won't be long. Someone will be looking for that load."
Like most railroads, SP numbered yard tracks.

Tony Thompson

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 10:42 AM, Jim Betz wrote:
  And why would you expect your operators to be any less human than
the guys on the 1-1 RRs.  *G*
As one who likes to play the game when operating, if I was the yard crew building that train a car with no paperwork would never get on it, but be set over somewhere until the paperwork catches up. Every yard needs its version of the "99 track" for just this reason. But if I'm crewing a train that's all made up, inspected and the air test made, the car is going with rather than cause all the delay that would result from cutting it out. Let the next yard figure it out. After all, if it's lost, there's a 50-50 chance it will end up closer to its destination.

Dennis Storzek

Paul Koehler

Tony:

Almost correct it was the 999 track, which only was located in the computer.  As soon as the correct location for the car was identified the car was sent to that location.

Paul C. Koehler