Outrageous Foobie

Friends,

You will probably roll your eyes over this tank car I found on the Micro-Mark web pages. It truly is groan-worthy.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Paul Doggett

Garth

不不不不 ha ha ha

Paul Doggett. England 湮更k件氦更螞

On 12 Mar 2021, at 11:12, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Friends,

You will probably roll your eyes over this tank car I found on the Micro-Mark web pages. It truly is groan-worthy.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff
<74626_R-1.jpg>

RICH CHAPIN

Yes, but a perfect car to have for a grand child to watch go round and round a layout.

Chris Barkan

It appears to be a Penn Line model lettered for Taiwan Rail Express; however, the "prototype" would have been Cape Gauge (3' 6") not standard...
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

maynard stowe

gotta have one how can I convert it to photo 48?
Maynard Stowe

On Mar 12, 2021, at 6:11 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Friends,

You will probably roll your eyes over this tank car I found on the Micro-Mark web pages. It truly is groan-worthy.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff
<74626_R-1.jpg>

Tim O'Connor

Garth

As we use the term, I think "foobie" is incorrect. For a car to be a foobie there must be an
actual prototype from which to deviate. Fantasy schemes are neither correct nor incorrect.
Modeling limbo, as it were. :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 3/12/2021 6:11 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Friends,

You will probably roll your eyes over this tank car I found on the Micro-Mark web pages. It truly is groan-worthy.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Jim Betz

But it will be popular with the grand kids and will sell ...

Benjamin Hom

Maynard Stowe wrote:
"Gotta have one how can I convert it to photo 48?"

Ask and ye shall receive. I'm sure you could put P48 wheels and couplers on this.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Garth Groff wrote:
"You will probably roll your eyes over this tank car I found on the Micro-Mark web pages. It truly is groan-worthy."

Back when Bachmann did their Chinese 2-8-2, they painted up a bunch of US rolling stock to give it something to pull. I have one of the Athearn-knockoff single dome tank cars that I slip into operating sessions every now and then to sow confusion, complete with a Chinese car card and waybill.

They also imported legitimate models of Chinese rolling stock, but they fall after the era of this list.

Ben Hom

poweredby251

What's funny is TREX (T-Rex, Transportation Resources) was what I came up for a leasing company related to my protofree-lance St Paul & St Louis RR......

John Gadow

CJ Riley

There is a T-Rex oil company but I found no reference to tank cars. Lionel also offers this paint scheme. In any event,we need a time machine to find suchfuture paint schemes.

Jerry Michels

AgreedTim. Good thoughts. Jerry Michels

Chris and Friends,

I'm pretty sure the tank and underframe are from the old HObby Line kits from the late 1950s. IIRC, this tooling passed first to Lionel, then to Model Power or somebody. Now it's back with Lionel, though those outrageous handrails are a step down from the original parts.

I had one of these once, a used piece I picked up at a train show, and I remember certain features like the coupler pockets matched some HObby Line cars I had until I plunged into HOn3 during college. The tank caught my eye because thedome was different from the usual Varney/LifeLike tanks that still clog sale tables. Like nearly all my blue box-quality roster, this one went back to a sale when I purged my roster of this sort of stuff about 30 years ago. Well, most of it. I still have a few blue box cars and similar in case visiting children clamor to run my trains. Not such a great loss if they hit the floor.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 7:35 AM Chris Barkan <cplbarkan@...> wrote:
It appears to be a Penn Line model lettered for Taiwan Rail Express; however, the "prototype" would have been Cape Gauge (3' 6") not standard...
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

np328

I'll take a different take on this. Or agree more fully with Rich Chapin.

Not in any way defending the car however if - this or cars like this with the poor handrails and graphic image not quite like we are used to seeing get kids interested in model railroading or at least give it a second look, great.

What's that about the mighty oak started as a little nut?

All in all it poses no more danger to any here than Thomas the Tank engine, or those Lionel cars with motion of our own youth.
And I have seen first hand how when Thomas the tank engine used to come to the roundhouse here in St. Paul, kids mobbed it. Many children hugging it.

I have tucked away, wrapped in paper, the little cast 0-6-0 tank engine my dad bought my brother and I when we were maybe 6, and then started down this path. I still look at it now and then and it is, in a way, my time machine.

I think many here have our own little item we look at from time to time. Rather than a sled named Rosebud, it could be a paper sided car, or an old zamac cast car, or even a blue box car.
Those have all lead us here.
If any of these cars lead younger people to replace us when the fates finally claim us, I am all for it. Jim Dick - Roseville, MN

Schuyler Larrabee

You are on target, Jim,

I STILL have my Mantua 0-4-0 from about 1958, and while Ive had numerous chances to replace the tender with another that doesnt have a broken rear step, I cant bring myself to do that.

Schuyler

[...]

Bill Parks

"If any of these cars lead younger people to replace us when the fates finally claim us, I am all for it."

I couldn't have said it better

--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA

Tom Madden

Still have my first HO loco, a Mantua Shifter I got in 1952. And the June 1948 issue of MR I bought as an 11 year old at a newsstand in Boston's South Station when my mother took me on a visit to her sister. These things serve both as reminders of and touchstones to the past.

Tom Madden

Jeff Ford

Is it Schrodinger's car.

Unprototypical and aprototypical at the same time?

$0.02,
-Jeff Ford
Sanger, Texas

P.S. I recall much enjoyment of railroading with egregiously inaccurate rolling stock as a kid. I'm afraid had I attempted a resin kit at the time it would have wound up like my dime store plastic airplane kits which were more glue than plastic and unpainted to boot - equally egregious. :)

O Fenton Wells

Amen to that Tom, I still have my Varney red, white and Blue State of Maine boxcar and my June 1957 MR that I bought as well. Great reminders.
Fenton

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 10:20 PM Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Still have my first HO loco, a Mantua Shifter I got in 1952. And the June 1948 issue of MR I bought as an 11 year old at a newsstand in Boston's South Station when my mother took me on a visit to her sister. These things serve both as reminders of and touchstones to the past.

Tom Madden

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Chris Barkan

Yes, Hobby Line not Penn Line (I got my "Line"s confused) As a kid, I remember liking their box art the best! :-) Thanks Garth!
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL